Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 
Jodah

Question Pygmy Cory

Group of 3-5 too large for a 5.5g with a betta? I saw them at the LFS, and holy crap are they tiny and uber cute. And I wantz themz... lol. I kinda already know the answer to this, but It would be a 5.5g NPT with Ankou as basically the only other inhabitant.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 
animallover

Jodah,
Yes, in my opinion too small,sorry. You would need at least a 10gallon because the catfish are active! I have a 10 gallon with 4 Julli Catfish,same size as the Pygmy and wow, they are all over! The bio load will get to be too much as well. And, you need places for them to hide from each other (which I'm sure you knew already). Not sure how to make that work in a 5 gallon, I only had critter keepers, 1.5 or my now 10's. There are others here that know better then me! This is my first time mixing them! They are so cute though! :) Good luck!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
bluesushi

I've kept them before and they are great active bottom-feeders. I'm going to agree with animallover and say that you would need at least 10 gallons of space for what you're thinking of. If you ever do decide to upgrade, though, cory cats and bettas seem to co-exist pretty well.
bluesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 
Jodah

Yeah, I kinda knew it was a no go. Figured I'd double check. Saw some at the LFS, and instantly fell in love. They were maybe 3/4" long. Lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover View Post
Jodah,
Yes, in my opinion too small,sorry. You would need at least a 10gallon because the catfish are active! I have a 10 gallon with 4 Julli Catfish,same size as the Pygmy and wow, they are all over! The bio load will get to be too much as well. And, you need places for them to hide from each other (which I'm sure you knew already). Not sure how to make that work in a 5 gallon, I only had critter keepers, 1.5 or my now 10's. There are others here that know better then me! This is my first time mixing them! They are so cute though! :) Good luck!
Julii are much bigger than pygmies....

Nevertheless, I'm with the other guys on this. Even though pygmies are crazy small, they do need a much bigger footprint than a 5.5 can offer. I'd wait til you can have a ten. Then you can have a full school of 6-8, which will make them much happier. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #6 
animallover

Bombalurina,
Oh, I thought they both were the same size! :P oops!!! Thanks for letting us know! :)
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #7 
Jodah

I have a 10g, and a 20H. Just no money to buy equipment for them (just lost my job recently >_<) so, for now, everything is on hold till I get a job. lol.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #8 
animallover

Jodah,
Hope you get another job soon, I need one too! Good luck with your tanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 
Jodah

Lolz, suck doesn't it? Ahh well, such is life. For now Ankou and Freyja shall be the only fish I have.