Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 
VickieTrivellas

30g stocking ideas

Sorry if these sort of threads are common, but basically I've got a 30 gallon tank in my room, it currently houses 7 fancy goldfish, 2 bristlenose pleco's and 1 apple snail (overstocked I know). Well I'm getting an appropriate sized tank custom made soon for my goldfish and their gang and due to the large size will be leaving my room.
I currently keep Butcher, my giant betta in a 4 gallon tank on my desk, and was hoping to move him into the 30 gallon tank once the goldfish and gang have left.
The tank is a bit big for just one little fish I think, so I'd like some ideas on what compatible fish will go well in that tank :)
VickieTrivellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #2 
animallover

Hi Vickie,
Does your Betta flare much? This is my first time to mix one of my Betta's with some Juli Catfish. He sits and stares at the 29 community and has never flared! I have been told here that Corycatfish are great to add with them, a group of four or more for your tank. People have tried certain tetras and the danios, but they are nippy, so keep in group of 6 or more. I also heard of White Cloud minnows, as for the other types like platty, mollies etc, I would ask again here to be safe. I am too nervous so I will stick with the Corys! Make sure you have plenty of plants and Hideys! Oh, add the other fish first and the Betta last!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 
VickieTrivellas

Ok, I was thinking of tetras, I'll look into it. And I didn't know about adding him last but it makes sense, I'll do that :)
He doesn't flare much, the only time I've seen it is when I provoked him by sticking a mirror in front of him lol

It'll be a while before this happens by the way, still saving for the new goldfish tank :P
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
animallover

I had Goldfish as well in a 29 gallon.Started with 3, went to 5, then was told it was overstocked! When I looked it up,it said 10 gallons per Goldfish! Yikes! I do not have anymore Goldies now though :( The reason I heard to add the Betta last is because of territory issues, he can accept mates better if he is last and then look for his hiding place. Not sure if we just put him in or put him a breeder net first? I need to ask that! Tanks are expensive!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

It's actually way more than ten gallons per goldfish, animallover, especially for the bigger species. :) Your average fancy can get more than 6 inches long!

In a 30 gallon, you could do some amazing things. My favourite species to have with bettas are:
- cories, like animallover suggested, as bettas usually don't bother them
- ember tetras, as they are small, pretty, totally non-aggressive and my bettas don't mind them
- Endler's livebearers (a true strain produces the most amazing colours, plus they are small and peaceful)
- kuhli loaches, because they are just plain awesome
- neon or cardinal tetras, as they are generally not nippy in a large enough school

I'd also leave at least one, if not both of the bristlenoses in the 30 gallon. After all, although they can adapt to the cooler waters goldfish live in, they are tropical fish and are generally healthier and happier in a tropical tank. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #6 
VickieTrivellas

Well I keep my goldfish tank heated, the goldfish breeds I have are the ones that apparently need warmer water (ranchus and orandas) so I think the bristlenoses will be ok in there. Though I'll consider it.

I was thinking maybe rummy nosed tetras and glass catfish (picking my favourites lol) and I was thinking about kuhli loaches, my dad used to have a pair of them, but I haven't seen any in stores for a while now, they are pretty awesome, I might need to go on a hunt for them :P
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I love rummies, so very cute. A school of glass cats would look really cool, especially if you did a biotype setup with tannins in the water! They are super peaceful though, so they might be scared if your betta was overly curious. A big school would give them confidence.
I am so jealous of your prospective tank now! :p
As you say, you BNs are probably fine, then. :)

And it's good to have other people from Australia, so extra-welcome from me!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote