Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 
boalt

I love my fish, but I feel like giving up on him

My little fish (Chester) is not doing too well. He's had a few incidents, including a medicine burn, that have left his fins ragged and bleeding. Refer to this post for more information http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90303

Despite frequent water changes and API stress coat conditioner, he is geting worse (this morning a chunck of his fin was gone and the tips werh bleeding again). I have an appointment to take him to a veternarian in Chicago (Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital), but its an hour away and I don't know if he can handle the trip if its worth it (is it someting fixable). I'm just really sad and totally stressed out about Chester and I don't know what to do. Looking at the pics, do you think he can be saved? Should I take him to the vet, give him away, or keep fighting? I really care about him, but I don't want to se him suffer.
boalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #2 
Zappity

I think he looks fine...he's probably tail biting. No need to take him to a vet an hour away. If anything, the stress will make him bite more.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 
boalt

Not sure if the pictures were attached

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...1-13084823.jpg
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 
Silverfang

I believe he's been suffering from fin biting. Keep him in clean water, possible aq salt if it looks like he's getting black edges on the fins. 1 tsp/gal is a safe dosage. My boy has the same issue. It's not terminal, but I know how frustrating it is. Just give him a little time.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #5 
boalt

Thanks for responding. How do I get him to stop doing that? Can I use salt even though his fin is bleeding (red tips). Petco said that means he has an open wound, and if I use salt he'll be in pain and will get worse. What should I do? I game API aquariam salt.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 
Silverfang

that is true, but the salt helps prevent infection from setting in. Pre mix 1 tsp of aquarium salt into one gallon of water, and use that. I don't believe it hurts, definitely not like having full blown rot will.

As well, the reasons for biting are quite varied, boredom, stress, or they find their fins heavy. It may not be entirely possible to stop biting, I have a boy, he'll be fine for a few months and then he'll just attack his tail and tear it to shreds. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes all you can do is provide good clean water, proper nutrition and keep your fingers crossed that he behaves. If he does bite, prevent infection and rot, sadly that is what I have to do with my boy.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I agree, no need to take him to the vet. If he is eating well and active, then he is most likely quite healthy. The AQ salt shouldn't hurt him the same way it would if we humans put it on an open wound. Instead, as Silverfang said, it should stimulate the slime coat production which prevents infection. However, if he starts to dart or jump around or act differently while in the salt, remove him immediately and post for help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
boalt

Ok, thanks. I am going to do a water change, add some salt, get more decorations (in case he's bored) and a heater (to keep the water temperature steady). Is there anything else I need to get? I'm going to Petsmart in about 30 minutes, so if there is anything else you can think of please let me know? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Sounds like you've got it covered. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 
Silverfang

a thermometer, despite what the dial on the heater says, it might not be quite accurate. They usually only cost like 2-3$