Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 
Min

Thumbs up Meet Murphy my first Bettas rescue

Ok so I went to petco to get water conditioner & as usual had to stop & look at the Bettas. I came across one half moon male & he had no tail. I asked for the manager & told him the betta was priced at $15 but was beat up looking & had no tail. I told him Id still like to have him. He looked at him & said" he looks deformed why would you want him?" I told him no one would buy him & I wanted to try & help him. He gave him to me & marked it as an adoption . Anyway based on the pics what do you think the chances are that his tail grows back? He looks to me like he was in a fight but otherwise seems healthy & is swimming around checking out his new home.

Oh I thought maybe he bites his tail but he has a scar on his side so assumed fight.
Attached Images

Last edited by Min; 01-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 
Leeniex

Aw, he's cute. I think his tail will grow back nicely. He looks alot like my Rex.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 
newarkhiphop

he is beautiful

marked as adoption =you got him for free?
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkhiphop View Post
he is beautiful

marked as adoption =you got him for free?

Yup he went from $15.99 to free!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 
mjoy79

That is a gorgeous betta. I'm sure he'll be so nice once his tail grows back. Can't wait to see progress!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 
lovebug009

I didn't know they could do that........I tried to buy a beautiful copper half-moon that had SBD and they wouldn't give me a discount, then I said I would pay full price and then they refused to sell it at all. I know it just died. I will have to remember that for the future, although I don't go to Petco much since that incident.
lovebug009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug009 View Post
I didn't know they could do that........I tried to buy a beautiful copper half-moon that had SBD and they wouldn't give me a discount, then I said I would pay full price and then they refused to sell it at all. I know it just died. I will have to remember that for the future, although I don't go to Petco much since that incident.
Thats awful. I think they have no clue about fish disease & unless its totally obvious (to them) like my guy had no tail they assume they are fine. He prob didnt want you taking it & coming back saying u wanted him replaced if he died. Since Murphy was never on the receipt they can write him off as another dead betta . no harm done. Im positive Murphy would have just sat there in that cup & eventually died because I dont know a lot of people who would have taken/bought him based on how he looked. I would have paid something for him if it got him out of there but the manager was cool about it & offered him when I said I still wanted to take him. He is already getting to know his new home. I love how he looks around . hes like sooooo this is what ive been missing
Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #8 
aqua001

His tail ought to grow back. Adding a little salt can help. Make sure you mix the sullotion first before adding in your fish.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua001 View Post
His tail ought to grow back. Adding a little salt can help. Make sure you mix the sullotion first before adding in your fish.
Actually im already seeing a lil growth! It always amazes me how quickly fish heal when in good conditions. Im glad i got him. He is turning out to be quite a character.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Oh my god. You have MY SHILOH just different colors... same situation, Shiloh has HUGE scars on one side of his face so he only half flares, his tail was destroyed.... And he was missing so many scales x.x

And his tail will grow back, but it will take time Clean warm water and good food helps!! =D kudos to you.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote