Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 
pandazankar

New here..Betta refuses pellets

Hi,I am new here in Central New York.This is my second Betta(lost my first to columnaris,he had it when I got him). I bought my pretty new boy at Petco Christmas Eve.He is doing great,other than he refuses pellets.I tried for two weeks before I finally broke down and tried flakes..he spit them out.I then gave him some frozen brine shrimp..he gobbled them down.He will also eat freeze dried bloodworms.Is there any way I can get him to eat pellets,I doubt the brine shrimp are that healthy for him? He is in a heated 3 gallon Eclipse,not the same tank that the first Betta was in.He has a log to swim in and out and a moss ball, I plan to add some low light plants soon.He is extremely active and seems happy..I am the one with the problem!!Thanks!!!
pandazankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

how long did u try giving him pellets before you switch to the other things?

I would say try and mix of a a pellet and a bloodworm see if he goes for
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #3 
pandazankar

I gave him pellets for two weeks before I tried the flakes and then I gave him the shrimp.I tried pellets again today..he won't even look at them.Is there a way I can make them sink slowly like the brine shrimp?I know they attract him because they look like they are swimming.I have tried Wardley(normal size) and HBH pellets(tiny),I am more than willing to try another brand.Or if there is a live food that I can get,I will order that.Just want him to stay healthy.I will try mixing them with the bloodworms,but he may be too smart for that!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #4 
Jodah

Offer only the food you want him to be eating mainly, and keep offering it to him. Eventually, he will eat it. I forget who exactly, but they said it took 22 days before their betta began eating properly. If you continue to offer bloodworms and other foods, he'll ignore the pellets. Took me about a week to get my g/f's betta to eat pellets. and now he'll just about yank them outta my fingers. Same with my betta Ankou.

Freyja, my female, took a bit to get to eat pellets. She's tiny though, so I had to go through the Hikari pellets and find a bunch of tiny ones. She now eats those out of my fingertips no problem.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandazankar View Post
I gave him pellets for two weeks before I tried the flakes and then I gave him the shrimp.I tried pellets again today..he won't even look at them.Is there a way I can make them sink slowly like the brine shrimp?I know they attract him because they look like they are swimming.I have tried Wardley(normal size) and HBH pellets(tiny),I am more than willing to try another brand.Or if there is a live food that I can get,I will order that.Just want him to stay healthy.I will try mixing them with the bloodworms,but he may be too smart for that!
I feed aqueon pellets and if i just tap them lightly once they in the water the sink down

what brand pellets u feeding?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6 
newarkhiphop

delete
Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #7 
pandazankar

I have Wardley and HBH.I fed my other betta Hikari,but I can't find them.I ordered Aqueon and Biogold,what I can get locally is pretty limited.I am willing to try any brands that you all advise.A friend just gave me her ten gallon tank,so I plan to set it up with a divider and get two more bettas.Is there a type of divider that will work best?