Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 
skthurley

Am I feeding correctly?

Hey all!

So I currently feed my guy a varied diet and only once a day.

I have Nutrafin betta pellets (2 or 3 at a time), Top Fin Freeze dried blood worms, Tetra BettaMin flakes and Hikari Daphnia.

I typically offer one kind of food per day and usually follow this order: pellets, blood worms, flakes, daphnia. Then i may choose to fast a day, but typically dont as he has never had any issues pooping. So then i will repeat again.

Any thoughts on this?

My reasons for offering such a variety is largely due to the fact that I had originally bought flakes and bloodworms to feed my betta, and then a friend gave me a bottle of daphnia she wasnt using anymore (and it hasnt expired yet) and then another friend had her betta die and she gave me her pellets. So, im offering a variety largely because I have so many food choices for him. and I figure that in the wild he wouldnt eat the same thing every day. lol!
skthurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #2 
agent89201

Variety is good. Betta fish often get bored with one kind of food. But be careful with foods such as bloodworms and shrimp. These are considered snacks and are not as nutritious when frozen. Most people give their betta fish these kind of food once a week. For some reason, my betta prefers flakes. :D I think you should choose one day to fast him and stick to the schedule, regardless of whether you see that he has issues.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

That is good - just beware of bloodworms, especially freeze dried they are a treat, not the main staple. Sarah didn't want anything but the bloodworms, and I wouldn't let her have them three days in a row -.-
Buti to me variety is very good for them, and just like agent said... fast one day, and stay with a schedule.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 
mjoy79

This thread is making me think I need to change things up a bit with my bettas. My current feeding schedule is 3 in the morning and 3 at night of NLS betta pellets and fasting 1 day a week, with the occasional frozen bloodworm treat. I wonder if I should throw some occasional flakes or something else in there every once in awhile. My bettas gobble up the NLS pellets so I know they love them :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

In the spring/summer since our area does not use pesticides or herbicides (nah, we're stupid and import thousands of dragonflys -.-) small mosquitos, mosquito larvae, and aphids are treats for my bettas always check about herbicides/pesticides though... and be warned they can carry disease.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 
aejh143

I was told by Petco...who I know I shouldn't trust...that I should feed my Betta 2-3 pellets every other day. Is this not enough food?
aejh143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 
agent89201

Eh not really. Usually people feed their betta fish 2 pellets in the morning and two in the evening. Or for flakes, two small pinches in the morning and two in the evening. Then fast one day out of the week. I fast Beau on Sundays.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

+1. I've never gone 2 days in a row without feeding. Most of my rescues don't get fasted a day of the week, until they are completely healed. Most of my healed rescues, or healthy bettas, are fasted a day of the week.