Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 
Seager1991

I want to build a very naturaul looking tank

Ok bear with me Im typing this on a smart phone.
I bought my betta that I have now named Poseidon 2 days ago and bought a 0.9 gallon tank because I didn't know what I know now.
Some time next week I plan on buying a 5 gallon tank, heater and filter.
I want to make it look very nature like with alot of live plants and maybe a sunken piece of wood, and definitely a cave for him to hide in. I have a few questions first.
1. Can I use the regular gravel they sell at the pet store? If so how thick of a layer should I use.
2. How many live plants is to many? I was thinking about 3 or 4 plants of small and medium size. I want them to look lively and nice.
3. If I added 2 shrimp and 2 snails would a filter still be neccessary if I did a weekly 100% water change. Also would that over populate the tank.
4. I feel the cave is a mandatory so could I add the sunken wood later if there was enough room?
5. Will my betta even like the live plants? Because this isn't all about how I want the tank to be designed, its his home not mine I don't want my fish to be un happy.
6. My last question, I cant really afford even though I know its cheap but it would be hard for me to get sand and dirt for the bottom, so is this even possible with using gravel? I should have asked this first.
Seager1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

1. Yes, maybe an inch? I'm not sure.
2. N/A
3. You could either add one snail or 4 shrimpies! I love Red Cherry Shrimp!
4. Yes, definitely! You need a filter, though. No if's and's or but's.
5. Your betta will LOVE live plants!
6. Yes, I'd recommend checking out this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
It's a guide to plants and such.

Good Luck!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Small size gravel will work fine for most plants-what is more important is the proper lights for successful planted tanks....without the proper lights the plants may fail and end up causing water quality issues.....

Proper plants-this depends on the light and what you like....all aquatic plants are going to be Betta safe....stem plants are great filters when actively growing too...

Filters with Bettas are optional and with rooted plants you won't need to make any 100% water changes and its not recommend either since disruption of the roots to often can harm the plants....with the proper lights on the right photoperiod with the right number and species of plants....the plants are the filter...but it is a closed system and water change will still be needed.

You can add shrimp and snail with the Betta in a planted 5gal-as I stated as long as you do it right the system will be fine and you could maintain water quality with 25% weekly and depending on plant species, number and growth state 25% every couple of weeks even without an added filter other than the plants of course........

I have a 5gal NPT pic in my album if you would like to take a look at a pic
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 
Seager1991

Thank you guys for the replys I think I am going to attempt building my tank tomorrow got my paycheck yesterday, yeah I know weird getting paid on a sunday. Do you think a tank and a heater will cost more then 100 dollars? Because I know the plants will cost about 20...also I dont have a bag to put my betta in if I put him in the tank while the waters about the tempature of his current tank then use the heater to warm it will he go into shock?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Do you think a tank and a heater will cost more then 100 dollars?
Depends on where you live and what you get. Some of the complete setups come with a heater but that will cost more then just buying a basic tank. I got my stuff over a couple of months due to cost.

http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...:referralID=NA

14.25" L X 9.75" W X 13" H
15 Watt Bulb
5 gallons
SKU: 1261223
Free Shipping!
$47.99
Qty:
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
Seager1991

He tiki I just posted pics of the tank well Im about to using my phone so its not working all the time, its under posiedons new tank
Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 
Seager1991

Nvm its under just Posiedon two pics are uploaded check em out and let me know whatcha think
Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Depends on where you live and what you get. Some of the complete setups come with a heater but that will cost more then just buying a basic tank. I got my stuff over a couple of months due to cost.

http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...:referralID=NA

14.25" L X 9.75" W X 13" H
15 Watt Bulb
5 gallons
SKU: 1261223
Free Shipping!
$47.99
Qty:
I own this tank. It's very nice. :) It also makes your fish appear larger. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote