Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 
Eddie1KRR

I had/have that same tank only in the 3.5 gallon version. (it's about $20.00 more)
GloFish 3.5 Gallon Aquarium Kit at PETCO

It's a cool little desktop tank, and the one that got me roped into the multiple tank syndrome thing lol.

I also started it with glowfish...Unfortunately, I lost them all to new tank syndrome. I did'nt know about cycling or anything at that time. They seemed to be tough little suckers to me because they hung on much longer than I would expect knowing what I know now and saw what I saw along the way after...

As far as the kit goes, pretty good bang for the buck, not a bad light, filter seems decent, the acrylic is thin though, I cracked mine eventually on the back side just by pushing the suction cups back on for the filter, so if you end up with one of these, brace the back real well before you push on the filter at all.

For a desk top tank, I since switched to the Fluval edge, I think I caught it on sale for around $105.00 and what a huge difference. Filter quality and being glass was a major step up. I don't know your space restrictions, but like the others said, no matter which way you go, you want bigger than the 2 gallon. I quickly outgrew the 6 gallon edge too, so I now I have 3 tanks going lol. I would get the biggest one you can afford space and money wise.
Eddie1KRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #12 
GwenInNM

I'm glad someone pointed out that they are a type of Danio, so yes, Danios are very active and need room to swim

In a 2 gallon, if you don't want a Betta, you could do Red Cherry Shrimp. They breed like crazy, and are really fun to watch. You do need many live plants for them though, so that may not work with that purple light thingy

My other favorite fish (that I've never had) would be Endlers. They are so tiny and pretty, and you could have a couple males or females (don't mix unless you want babies) in a two gallon, I suspect. Thoughts anyone?

Check out the profiles here on the Endler. Cute!

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #13 
NflLover101

Wow !!! Thanls so much for all the info everyone :)
How many gallons does a single bettta need ?

My online Bff has one in a critter keeper is that a good idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I'm glad someone pointed out that they are a type of Danio, so yes, Danios are very active and need room to swim

In a 2 gallon, if you don't want a Betta, you could do Red Cherry Shrimp. They breed like crazy, and are really fun to watch. You do need many live plants for them though, so that may not work with that purple light thingy

My other favorite fish (that I've never had) would be Endlers. They are so tiny and pretty, and you could have a couple males or females (don't mix unless you want babies) in a two gallon, I suspect. Thoughts anyone?

Check out the profiles here on the Endler. Cute!

Gwen
Are red cherry shrimp, just red shrimp ?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-20-2012 at 10:57 PM.
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #14 
GwenInNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NflLover101 View Post
My online Bff has one in a critter keeper is that a good idea ?

NO. Betta's do need heaters and some space to swim.
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #15 
NflLover101

Oh she has a heater in there. At its a 3 gallon one too
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #16 
Bombalurina

A 3 gallon is fine. Depending on the betta (some love small spaces, some aren't happy in them at all), you can get away with something as small as one gallon as long as it is heated and kept clean (1 50% and 1 100% change per week). I think a 3 gallon is a good starter size - you can always go up from there. :) That 2 gallon would be fine as long as you heat it.

As far as glofish go, I really wouldn't recommend them for less than a 15g long. They are really very active and will use every inch of a 2 ft tank. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote