Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #11 
Romad
TFK Moderator

BettaMommy do you own the gorgeous speciman in your avatar? I'm wiping the drool off of my keyboard to type this.....
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #12 
BettaMommy531rip

no. sadly. but i'm drooling as well. :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #13 
mjoy79

I thought about starting my own thread on a similar topic, but I noticed this one and just thought I'd add my thoughts.
As someone who is possibly ADD/ADHD, this betta thing has made me feel quite crazy since I really started getting into it last year. I have currently 7 males and 10 females (waiting on their sorority tank to be ready) and quite a few tanks. I've felt myself becoming overwhelmed at times with things and feeling guilty for having so many of these guys too.
Realizing what I'm possibly dealing with (ADD), has really made me try and take a step back and try to do the best thing overall for my bettas.
I've wondered if anyone else on this forum might know what I'm talking about or possibly have ADD tendacies themselves - especially if they have multiple bettas. I'm not saying all people with lots of fish or other pets are ADD but it makes me wonder if its a possibility. LOL
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

I read your original post to this and cracked up. This site is like betta's anonymous in opposite. It's a support group to keep the "betta bug" as we all affectionatly call it. It's funny. I got my first betta, a white veil tale when I was 18 and it died pretty quickly from the house being to cold (didn't know anything then). I just got my first betta after that one about... 6 months ago and the bug bit me and I am up to ten bettas and a community tank (with no bettas) I have 3 boys and 7 girls. Right now I am presently trying to convince my fiance to rescue his moms betta who has fin rot and a split tail from dirty water and no nutrition probably. They won't listen to me. They don't use water conditioner either :( Anyways, I have been trying to stop but I can't I don't even go into the petstore anymore unless I have to and I don't go near the bettas. If I do go near them I have issues; drooling, convulsions..... Until I take one home!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #15 
BettaMommy531rip

Yep. I plan to go this weekend....
Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #16 
erinandares

The betta bug is merciless when it strikes. But that's okay, because I adore them! I talk to mine, too. In probably six months, I've gone from one to seven... Eight counting the original who passed. RIP Ares.

I definitely have a short attention span. When I was little, I was diagnosed with ADD. Then social anxiety, then borderline manic depression. Then we found an actual cause. I don't know if this has any merit for your betta bug- ADD correlation, mjoy, but I think it makes sense that people prone to attention deficit and other social disorders would turn to keeping multiple pets. It just makes sense in my brain.

I think, though, as long as the love for the pets is there, there's nothing wrong with having them.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

Love is a wonderful thing, but you also need time, money and ability to care for them. And space. And parental permission, if you live at home.
Believe me, if love was all it took, I would have a fishroom and be running a rodent rescue. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #18 
erinandares

Right. Don't get me wrong, I take care of my bettas. Didn't mean to imply you could keep them poorly as long as you love them... I just thought that part was a given, since we are on a betta forum... Lol. Sorry!~
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

Just teasing. ;)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #20 
BettaMommy531rip

I am hoping to go to PetCo this weekend, but my friend's mom's friend died and her mom is going to the funeral tomorrow and my friend wants to stay w/ me, sooooo I might not be able to go. :( I also try to support both my sisters, as they are playing on basketball teams of mostly boys, and I know that they like me to see them doing so well. (My sisters: Eleanor-9, Kate-6) They both have games tomorrow, and my teachers loaded us w/ homework to make up for the time we missed for the midterms. :P