Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #1 
Watch

Red face New betta owner-- some concerns

Hello everyone! It seems after a Skype chat with my partner and two betta enthusiasts, I too have been bitten by the betta love bug (along with my partner). We've both purchased a betta each.

I've just set up my first betta tank a couple hours ago (a small 1 gal with some rainbow gravel and decorative plastic rocks, and a fake plant) and have been worrying for my new halfmoon fish buddy Wesker already.

I got him at Petsmart two days ago and he's hardly eaten since. I figured it was due to the tiny cup he was housed in and that and am relieved that he's in his new tank and is very active and flaring. However, he's still not eating. I've tried two different brands of betta pellets and bloodworms, and none have worked so far.

I plan to buy a small heater and a thermometer hopefully tomorrow and suspect that warmer waters will make Wesker feel more at home, and that he'll soon be eating.

I've already read up on care and all that, and have put tank salts in his water to prevent fungus and know that the smaller tank will require more attention when it comes to cleaning. I'm hoping that the tear in his tail will heal up, too. He's had it since I bought him, but he seems healthy so I'm sure it's not fin rot.

Here are some photos of Wesker, and I'll get a photo of the entire tank up sometime as well:
Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #2 
hotrod57ts

Jest Give HIm a day or two
hotrod57ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the betta addiction :)

Some bettas take a while to acclimate and accept the pellets. Try soaking the pellets in a bit of garlic water (some tank water and a bit of crushed garlic for 5-10 mins before feeding. If you're using freeze dried bloodworms, you need to soak those in some tank water anyway to reconstitute them.

As long as he's healthy otherwise, he'll catch on soon. Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Bettas....so glad you found us and became a member of our neat little community.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #5 
Watch

Sad to have to update this with a bit of a dilemma. It seems that just today a small white patch has popped up on the end of his tail. Yesterday I cleaned out his tank 100% and I'm shocked to see that this has come up.

I've not been able to get him a heater yet, and his water is sitting at about 70-72 degrees. I'm aware that this is too cold but I'm afraid a Hydor Mini or something related would bake my new baby...

My mother and I are looking into some antibiotics and I have sprinkled in some tank salts for the time being. ;;
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch View Post
Sad to have to update this with a bit of a dilemma. It seems that just today a small white patch has popped up on the end of his tail. Yesterday I cleaned out his tank 100% and I'm shocked to see that this has come up.

I've not been able to get him a heater yet, and his water is sitting at about 70-72 degrees. I'm aware that this is too cold but I'm afraid a Hydor Mini or something related would bake my new baby...

My mother and I are looking into some antibiotics and I have sprinkled in some tank salts for the time being. ;;
It could be bacterial but a picture would be helpful.

As for heating the tank, my suggestion would be to get at least a 2.5 gallon setup like the Aqueon kit that you can submerge a 25w heater in. Or check out Craigslist for tanks. I see 5 gallon hex tanks all day long on CL. With the 5 gallon, you would want a 50w heater.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
It could be bacterial but a picture would be helpful.

As for heating the tank, my suggestion would be to get at least a 2.5 gallon setup like the Aqueon kit that you can submerge a 25w heater in. Or check out Craigslist for tanks. I see 5 gallon hex tanks all day long on CL. With the 5 gallon, you would want a 50w heater.
I would love to get him a bigger tank, but it's out of the question at the moment. We have a bit of a tight budget and what little money I had was spent on the supplies I have currently. When we've moved into a house that has the space for a larger tank, I'll definitely be spoiling him, though!

Also the symptoms have gotten much worse but we know what he has now. It's fin rot. My mom helped me clean out his tank and she's been helping me nurse him and with her help I'm sure we can get him back to his former glory.

This morning he was looking absolutely pitiful. His tail was red all over and the edges were very black. His tail is still very dark now, but it seems the inflammation has gone away. I'm just glad he's back to moving around again, since it was heartbreaking to see him settled to the bottom of the tank when I woke up.

It seems now we just need to be patient and hope it doesn't get worse :[
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

All you can do at this point is to keep the water super clean.

I would also use some Melafix in very small doses to try to stop the spread of the rot.
Some people say Melafix is harmful and other swear by it but I've had great success in treating wounds and finrot with it. But like I said, I underdose and change the water constantly.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 
Watch

Wesker passed this afternoon. My mom did some research and she suspects that he may have had tuberculosis. I'm unsure, but he was apparently sick when we got him.

I didn't have Wesker for long, but he was very special to me and I've cried for him all the same.

I'll get another betta sometime, but it won't be any time soon...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Wesker.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, concerns, new owner