Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 
JawsSharkBait

Jaws eats A TON

I recently changed food for my Betta to smaller pellets and he loves these, but he eats a ton of them.
I've gotten m trained to come to the top center of his tank where theres a spot to feed when he wants food, so when he does this I drop a couple pellets in. Keeping in mind he doesn't do this often so he is not trained to always receive food. I do it when I wake up, around lunch, and after dinner. He's gotten used to it so those are the only times he goes to that spot. These are the times he comes to that spot.
My issue is instructions are to feed as much as he can consume in 2 minutes.... Which I think he could eat the whole bottle. I've tried this feeding him 1 pellet at a time and he ate 15 of them before I stopped in fear of over feeding. I kept an eye on his stomach it was fine. My concern is do I keep feeding him as much as he can eat, or do I keep it to a smaller amount. It's been a week of me feeding about 20-25 pellets a day and he seems fine and he swims around and everything seems ok.
JawsSharkBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 
chrissylee13

hmmm. well the only thing i would worry about with that much food is it may cause him to become over weight.

and how small is smaller pellets?
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
Laki

Betta's seem to eat and eat and eat. Their bellies are only approximately the size of their eyes, so 15 seems to be way too much! But I don't know how big they are.. But Omega One pellets seem quite small Lakitu can eat 4 in a meal and be okay.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

i hope the smaller pellets are NLS small fish community formula since those are so small it's smaller then a period . (<-smaller then that) otherwise feeding him 3 times with 15 pellets is a lot of food:

here's a guide =) good luck !! and hope it helps
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=81220
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 
angiessa

You also want to watch out for bloat and SBD from feeding him so much. Those instructions on the food labels are never right - my guys would eat a whole bottle in two minutes, too...and be looking for more! They're never full.
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 
JawsSharkBait

The pellets fit an o <-- so they are pretty small. I'm doing about 5 a meal by the time I go to feed again he's waiting for them.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
JawsSharkBait

This is the most recent picture of him, i also got my GF a betta but its VERY antisocial
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 
Silverfang

never feed them all they can eat. They will eat themselves to death if given a chance, I know my boys, and girls are gluttons. Using the guide of their stomach is the size of their eye is what I think is a safe guideline, so I'd recommend that.
I feed omega one pellets, and my boys either get 2-3 for a meal and my girls get 2.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

If given a chance I am sure my Shiloh would eat the whole container of food.. and the container itself o.o And same goes for my girls. I have two males who won't eat everything they can o_o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Generally, the instruction to "feed your fish as much as they can eat in 2 minutes" is bunk. Don't listen to it. For the size pellets you're feeding, I would recommend 2-3 each meal, twice a day. Or 1-2 three times a day.

Also, you may want to get some frozen bloodworms. Variety is best when feeding fish so if you can feed some bloodworms one meal, some pellets another meal, Jaws will be a happy boy. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote