Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 
chrissylee13

Lightbulb 10 gallon divided 3 ways?

i currently have my 10 gal divided for my male HM Frosty Love, and my male CT Ryuu, but yesterday, my fiance convinced me to get this beautiful red/blue male VT. he's been wanting me to get a blue one since my other 2 are mainly red, so i caved and got him his blue one which we named Ren. i must be rubbing off on him. haha.

i was wondering if anyone has done this and if they've had any problems or concerns? any pictures of your 10 gal would be awesome! if i don't like the idea then i'm going to get him his own little tank. he's currently in a roughly 1 gal bowl, i know.. a bowl. but it was $1 and he seems pretty happy in it for now.

also, if i do decide to do this, how long before i should introduce him? my HM is currently healing from fin rot. about 2-3 days ago i noticed he had stopped fin regression and his red fin color is becoming brighter. this started after i fixed the problem of old food in the gravel! he began eating more being active like his old self and begging all the time. and my CT even made his first bubble nest yesterday! and this morning it was even bigger! :] so i must have fixed the problem! woohoo!!

so any advice or pictures would be great! thanks! :]
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 
angiessa

Dividing it three ways works pretty well. Mine doesn't have a third fish yet (AquaBid baby coming at the end of the month), but my other two are pretty content in there. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup:
Attached Images

angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 
kholder

I divided my ten gallon in half. My fish hated it. The could still see each other through the mesh holes and spent all their time flaring and being aggressive. I let this go on for three days, hoping they'd chill, but they never did. There are photos in my profile. The division did not work for me.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
I divided my ten gallon in half. My fish hated it. The could still see each other through the mesh holes and spent all their time flaring and being aggressive. I let this go on for three days, hoping they'd chill, but they never did. There are photos in my profile. The division did not work for me.
It definitely depends on the fish. The two in my 10-gallon don't seem to mind. I had one of them in with my third betta in a 5-gallon divided, however, and the third betta couldn't handle it. He chewed his fins down to nubs from the stress. I had to remove him until I got the divided 10, and he is now living happily alone in his 5-gallon tank.

Some of them can handle the dividers, with an occasional flare if they happen to catch sight of their roommates. Some of them just can't stand having another betta nearby, divider or not. Definitely keep an eye on them for the first few days after putting them in a divided tank, to make sure they're okay with it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 
chrissylee13

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiessa View Post
Dividing it three ways works pretty well. Mine doesn't have a third fish yet (AquaBid baby coming at the end of the month), but my other two are pretty content in there. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup:

oh wow, that actually looks really nice. i thought it might look cramped. but it really doesn't! and right now my 2 in the divided only flare at each other when they come across each other, but it's really only in one spot of the tank. i'm sure with more plants i could cover the spot. but they don't really seem to mind right now.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have mine divided. I have a Maroon Marble VT, a Red/Blue Dragon HM and a Solid Blue VT in mine. They do great.

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #7 
BettaMommy531rip

Talking Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
What you do is buy two layers of mesh. Then put them in with a bit of space in between them. Just big enough for a piece of paper to slide in. Then choose a piece of paper (it can be colored, anything you want really) and laminate it, so it doesn't get soaked. You can do this by covering it with clear packing tape, or actually laminating it. Then slide the piece of paper between your two "slices" of mesh. That way you can give them a little flare time (great for pictures), then just slide the paper back in and give them chill time. I made this up myself, and am planning to use it on two new guys I'm hoping to get.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 
bluesushi

angiessa, pitluvs, your tanks look excellent.
bluesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 
chrissylee13

wow!! super good idea with the paper. and love the tanks still! :]
Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesushi View Post
angiessa, pitluvs, your tanks look excellent.
Thank you! :) Still planning to add live plants, but haven't got that far yet.

Pitluvs: I love that pirate ship!