Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 
chicagojo

How do I know if it's popeye?

My son's betta has been having a lot of issues lately and I've been so concerned about him that I must admit I haven't been paying that much attention to my daughter's betta, Feathers (although we have still been doing regular water changes, one 50% and one 100% per week). Today I looked and it seems like both of Feathers eyes look kind of bulgy. To be honest, since I haven't been spending that much time just looking at him for the past couple of weeks, I can't say if this is a change but when I noticed it today it did catch my attention, which leads me to think maybe it is.

I tried to take a picture but between the fact that the only camera I have is on my phone and Feathers coloring is very dark (almost black) I can't get one to turn out. I'm wondering if there's any good way to know if a fish has popeye vs. normal bulgy eyes.

If it's relevant, my daughter told me that yesterday she saw Feathers eat his own poop (yuck!)
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #2 
aqua001

Bulgy eyes are a sure sign of Popeye. Did his behavior chage at all? Sluggishness, dull coloring etc. you should treat it if the eyes start to get worse.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 
Sakura8

What kind of betta is Feathers? This is unsubstantiated, but in my experience, bettas with longer tails like halfmoons, deltas, and doubletails, tend to have eyes that bulge out a little more. I've compared m own HM to my veiltails and my HM looks like he has severe popeye compared to them (he doesn't obviously, haha). One way to tell if it might be popeye is to check the eyes and see if they're also cloudy. Also, how has Feathers' behavior been?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote