Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Do you think fish have emotions?
Yes. 14 63.64%
No. 4 18.18%
I'm not sure. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #111 
Sena Hansler

Noah, usually what you see is mainly instinct... Now see, with mating instinct for fish, we see as love between humans - it's all humanization, which I think is just fine There is no one in the world who can tell me "fish don't have emotions they're useless" because so what if they don't have emotions? I give my fish a look of emotion, and it just makes it better to care for them because then to ME they FEEL better, and are GRATEFUL
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #112 
NoahG

Haha, that's cool -- I'm thinking perhaps it is connected to mating. Mostly a curiosity, but not a pressing one I suppose. It's not become an issue now that I have them set up one male-one female.

It's all good, I haven't had too much time to do any recreational reading anyways -- I've had a Betta book from a co-worker for weeks now and I haven't read much in it, heh. Not to mention school starts up again next week, so even less time then. As for the diving certificate -- nah, I wish! But diving with sharks is, for sure, on my bucket list, so to speak. Both in and outside of a diving cage. Some day...

Hey, that sounds like a plan, especially if you have a good job now. Personally I'm sort of working on it as I go...especially because I don't have a good job now (trying to work on that though). When I was thinking of going the behavior route I was thinking at least a Masters, perhaps a PhD as well. Now if I get a Masters it'd be an MBA (with no idea yet what to do with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The opinion is there because science can't always give us all the answers...there are still things we don't know yet.
Exactly. That and there's more to science than just the facts, hence peer-reviews and such. Facts only go so far: if that's all there were, and that was all that mattered, then there'd be no reason for discussion.

Sena, I get what you're saying. I didn't really think it was love that I was seeing -- I guess the closest emotions I would say it looked like was anger, perhaps jealousy. I can see such a reaction being attributable to mating instinct or competition over resources now, however. Just had to put it under the right light (sometimes takes a bit to find that light).
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #113 
Sena Hansler

well, like I said I don't care if they have emotions or not. Because I sympathise with their pain, I've humanized them. Since I've humanized them, I'll cry when they die x.x
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #114 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
well, like I said I don't care if they have emotions or not. Because I sympathise with their pain, I've humanized them. Since I've humanized them, I'll cry when they die x.x
This is always my point.... whether or not they have emotion is a HUGE question, but in the end... it doesn't really matter... WE as humans have emotion, and part of that emotion SHOULD be feeling the pain and suffering of others, whether human or not
and just because you sympathised with their pain doesn't mean you've humanized them.... you are simply being human... and all living things HAVE to feel pain, at least to some degree (how else would they know when not to do something because its harming them), as humans, we have emotions we connect with pain, and just because we feel sad when our pet feels pain does not mean we have humanized them....
maybe saying your fish is happy is humanizing them.... but then again... fish do get "happy" and they do get "sad"... when we feed our fish they get excited to eat... when our fish are sick they act lethargic... we tag emotions to this more to help us better connect what they are going through
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #115 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
This is always my point.... whether or not they have emotion is a HUGE question, but in the end... it doesn't really matter... WE as humans have emotion, and part of that emotion SHOULD be feeling the pain and suffering of others, whether human or not
and just because you sympathised with their pain doesn't mean you've humanized them.... you are simply being human... and all living things HAVE to feel pain, at least to some degree (how else would they know when not to do something because its harming them), as humans, we have emotions we connect with pain, and just because we feel sad when our pet feels pain does not mean we have humanized them....
maybe saying your fish is happy is humanizing them.... but then again... fish do get "happy" and they do get "sad"... when we feed our fish they get excited to eat... when our fish are sick they act lethargic... we tag emotions to this more to help us better connect what they are going through
Well said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #116 
Bombalurina

This may not be a particular helpful response, given that I humanise everything from fish to teddy bears to the 14-year-old dishwasher that finally gave up the ghost yesterday.

At the very least, animals seem to have a physical reactionto certain stimulus. For instance, when a rat is very "happy", for instance because you are scratching his fat furry rump in just the right spot, he will start to brux (grind his jaws together furiously), then boggle (grind his jaws so hard it makes his eyes bulge in and out of the sockets). It's been noted many times that a rat whose cagemate has died will go into a form of mourning - lethargy, loss of appetite and general sad-seemingness. When my rat Jekyll got sick, his brother Hyde cuddled up to him and kept him warm and comforted.
Now, of course, I may be seeing and interpreting this through the lens of human emotion - that sort of behaviour looks to me like a human mourning or comforting. For all I know, it is something very different in a rat - but then again, maybe it isn't. It certainly doesn't seem different (although I do acknowledge I've never seen a human boggle because they were happy).

As for fish, I don't know if they feel emotion, but they certainly give off physical signs. They get 'excited' about food, 'curious' about new toys, 'angry' about invaders. I've seen my girls seeming to cuddle together after one was ill, or when I changed the tank around (schooling behaviour from bettas?). I doubt it is emotion the way we understand it, but then, what defines emotion? Is it just because we have words to describe it? Sometimes emotion feels like a physical sensation; for instance, grief feels like a physical hurt to me. I can understand it and rationalise it (I know that I am experiencing grief, in those situations) - is that what separates humans and animals?

I don't know. I'm not a scientist. I just enjoy thinking I've made my rats happy, and that they are grooming me back because I'm "one of the boys." :)

Sorry if that rambled.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #117 
Sena Hansler

oh no!!! not the dishwasher :p

Actually my females Marge and Tina, have never fought. When I got them as only 2, (before getting Zebra and Rose to complete a sorority) they were the bestest friends ever o_o I have never even seen other fish do that, let alone bettas. They "check up" on each other, and back each other up. When Madame (r.i.p.) bullied Marge, Tina would actually get in the middle of it and detour Madame o_O