Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Do you think fish have emotions?
Yes. 14 63.64%
No. 4 18.18%
I'm not sure. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #11 
bahamut285

It's not about the space, it is about the environment. You can compare it to living in a small apartment vs. living in a mansion. You will feel much better and be healthier overall if you live in a CLEAN small apartment vs. a FILTHY mansion. The only reason why having a larger tank for beginners is encouraged is because it is very difficult to filthy-up a mansion with one person living in it.

There is a difference between how breeders and pets keep their fish. You honestly cannot expect a breeder, with thousands of fish, to keep them all in 5 gallon tanks...not even 1 gallon cubes.

It's all about keeping the water clean. It's just much easier in a larger, cycled tank.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #12 
Jrf456

I've seen this before.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!
UGH. This poster makes me sick. The worst part is the people who comment agreeing with him. " I have 50 bettas, all in 1 qt jars " >:O ????

" I tried keeping my betta in a 10g and he was miserable. " This is often TRUE. Many bettas don't prefer large tanks, like my boy Garland gets extremely stressed in anything above 1g. But 1g is the minimum! Ughhhh. These people!

I don't think the world will ever truly be educated on fish care. You see so many knowledgeable people such as the folks on this site giving information to newbies and they LAUGH.

Let's hope these cruelties stop. </3

/EDIT: Although as the person above me stated, yes. They can't keep them in large tanks or bowls. They just need a minimum of clean water.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have 3 of mine in 1 gallon containers but I plan to upgrade them soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
It's not about the space, it is about the environment. You can compare it to living in a small apartment vs. living in a mansion. You will feel much better and be healthier overall if you live in a CLEAN small apartment vs. a FILTHY mansion. The only reason why having a larger tank for beginners is encouraged is because it is very difficult to filthy-up a mansion with one person living in it.

There is a difference between how breeders and pets keep their fish. You honestly cannot expect a breeder, with thousands of fish, to keep them all in 5 gallon tanks...not even 1 gallon cubes.

It's all about keeping the water clean. It's just much easier in a larger, cycled tank.
Agreed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #15 
newarkhiphop

I personally think 1 gallon heated with a small cave is fine and should be the minimum for bettas kept as pets

but yea that link is really sad, especially the ones kept in the plastic baggies.
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #16 
ShyDog

This is giving Des Moines a bad name over all :< which makes me sad cause their some of the nicest people ever, and tend to take really good care of their pets if educated properly.

(also scrolling down, his reply to comments are just..rude to say the least)

Last edited by ShyDog; 01-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #17 
Silverfang

HE is rude, I've seen this page several times. It's beyond depressing, and frustrating. I keep my new girls in a .8 gal tank, with a mini heater, after a week or two they get moved into the sorority. How can anyone think they are happy in something even smaller than that permanently?

Granted after living in a cup they are beyond thrilled at the half gallon of water, but still, I mean after living in a closet you'd love a room. But you'd want the whole house/apartment after a while.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 
Ayane Hajinmon

Farming environment in thailand...does this look cruel?im asking cuz idk how u farm it from babies x.x
Attached Images

Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #19 
fishman12

I'm pretty sure that's how breeders on here do it.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #20 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayane Hajinmon View Post
Farming environment in thailand...does this look cruel?im asking cuz idk how u farm it from babies x.x
There is a difference between how breeders breed, and how "owners" are expected to keep their fish. Breeders are moving large quantities of fish at a time, raising them quickly, to be sold. Many members here do not have problems with how sellers choose to display their fish being sold, because the expectation is that these homes are only temporary until an owner buys them.

The rage at this particular website, is that he is marketing to owners to keep their fish like that, in containers smaller than he is selling them in. That coupled with incorrect information on how to keep these fish long term is rightfully making the OP angry. : )
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote