Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 
NflLover101

Lightbulb Fish ?

Is there any kind of fish that don't require a heater ?
I would prefer fish that dont require one.
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
diablo13

Depends, a very easy fish, or just one that doesn't need a heater?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Well, even some goldfish need heaters. I don't think you will find a fish that can live healthily without a heater unless you live in thailand or you aren't conducting proper husbandry. :/

May we ask why you want a fish that doesn't need a heater?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
NflLover101

I was just wondering why all the fish need heaters
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Most fish are tropical fish, meaning they come from really warm areas of the world. You don't hear of pet fish coming from the Arctic, for example. They need heat to digest their food, fend off diseases, and feel well enough to procreate. That's my take on it anyways.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #6 
Sherlock23

Mostly all fish do. I don't have a heater for my tank ( I know I'm bad I know but Money is tight and a heater on thr bottom Of my list of things I need) but they are doing alright. I just keep adding hot water to the tank every time it's gets cold. But sometimes if you keep your house warm that sometimes would help without a heater but most fish do need one. I know cold water fish ( gold fish) would do alright without one.
Sherlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock23 View Post
Mostly all fish do. I don't have a heater for my tank ( I know I'm bad I know but Money is tight and a heater on thr bottom Of my list of things I need) but they are doing alright. I just keep adding hot water to the tank every time it's gets cold. But sometimes if you keep your house warm that sometimes would help without a heater but most fish do need one. I know cold water fish ( gold fish) would do alright without one.
Actually they do need a heater. And a constantly fluctuating temp is even worse than a low temp. Not living at the proper temp will reduce tropical fish life spans. Fish can't regulate their body temps like mammals can. The enzymes in our bodies only work at certain temps; this is fine as we can work to keep these temps steady. Fish have enzymes too that need certain temperatures to work. They can't regulate body temps (with a few notable exceptions), so these enzymes aren't working when the fish isn't kept around the proper water temp. Without proper temps, you are basically slowly killing your fish. There is some debate as to what exactly is proper temp for a betta, tho.

As to the OP's question. Fish don't need heaters, they need proper water temperature. I once kept fish that need a water chiller because the average room temp of the water was too high. What is the average water temp in your house? I'm talking winter and summer averages. There are some fish commercially available that can like temps around 75F.

Fancy goldfish (ryukins, moors, vieltails, ect) do best at temps between 73F and 78F. They can benefit from a heater, but it depends on your house temp. I don't need a heater for mine because they are in a warm room. The goldfish that don't need heaters (commons, comets, shubunkins) grow too large for normal home aquaria and do best in an outdoor pond.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

If your house temperature is pretty stable and doesn't ever dip below 68F, you'd be fine keeping white cloud mountain minnows (10 gallons for 6), zebra danios (15 gallon long minimum) or goldfish (20 gallon minimum) without a heater, but if you get big temperature fluctuations or it goes below 68F, it's going to be safer to get one anyway. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote