Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 
khatlady

Will Glass heater break during water changes

Ok, this is probably a silly question. I have a heater I recently got for my 1.5 gallon tank. It is an Elite mini submersible 5 heater. It has a glass outside and a ceramic inside to it. When I am doing water changes I do unplug it. I wonder though, say I do a 50% water change, is there a change the glass on the heater may shatter when the water is removed? Is there anything I should do to make sure my heater does not break? thanks!
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 
fishman12

I highly doubt it. As long as it isn't running and you don't pour ice water on it, you should be fine.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 
Sakura8

No, this isn't a silly question. :) There is always a chance your heater could break. Not necessarily while out of water but if it turns on and gets hot while out of water and then you put it back in, that's when it could shatter as the very hot glass is submerged into cooler water. When I do partial water changes, I sometimes hear them start to sizzle as they turn on, which is kind of a warning sign. If you have any worries at all, it's probably best to always unplug the heater when it is even partially out of water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 
willow

hi
i was reading the manual for my fish tank the other day,and it recommends at least
30 minutes for the heater to cool down before you take it out of the water.
i'll be honest i've only ever given mine 20 at the most.
i'd just be careful incase it damages the heater.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 
bastage

I had this happen with a 200w elite heater. During a water change I did not unplug it & it shattered dropping glass into my tank.

After then then Another Elite heater blowing up inside of a tank for no good reason I wont use them any more & have switched to the Ebo-Jagers which are supposed to shut themselves off if the water level is too low, but I still unplug them to be sure.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote