Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #11 
Laki

This morning he's merely there. Not much out of him. Last night I moved him back to the kitchen so the cat wouldn't get at him and it looked as if he was having trouble swimming, which explains his lethargy up on the IAL. He slept with some of his head out of water, the hump behind his eyes, but I just cleaned half the 3g with a half water change and hopefully the plants will have helped whatever spike occurred. I was told to try putting him back in there (it's warmer than what he's in now).
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #12 
BETTACHKALOVE

But you need to acclimate him slowly because you don't want to shock him with temperature difference. Do you know what the temperature difference is. Is it room temperature or you have heaters.

Is your betta bloated? Any other visible symptoms on his body? Poor thing it look like he is not good at all..sorry..i wish he will pull through.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #13 
BETTACHKALOVE

Disregard my question about bloating. He has completely different symptoms. I don't know why i asked that question.

Also i think if he has difficulty to swim may be smaller tank is better for him. And the plant so he can rest on it. May be more water changes the the same like temperature +-2* water. May be it will help.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 01-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #14 
Laki

:) I acclimated him to the warmer tank. The small one had a heater but the temp was only 21C so I floated the therm in the 3g until it read 21C. Floated him, released him and turned the heater on. It's warming slowly bc with my new fancy adjustable therm I started it out low so it wouldn't shock him.
I went to school for an hour and just came home, thawed some bloodworms and he is showing interest!!! He nibbled a bit but is gone back to skulking, I got some pics of him about 10 mins ago :

I mean, aside from clamped fins he seems to look okay. Maybe a bit of ammonia burn
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

Can you make water a little bit warmer with that heater? His fins are still clumped. You wrote that he is skulking, but is he swimming or just hanging in the canner? Is he really lethargic? Usually for 3 gall unfiltered tank you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% of the water changes. But I think if he is lethargic you might need to do more frequent water changes and see if it will help him.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would think that you might need to treat him with aquarium salt if he is not better. I am not sure though i would wait until someone else will give you advice. Also i am not sure if you will have another fish but never share any equipment between sick and healthy betta.

And i am not sure how you check the water temperature when you change him but i can share the info if you need it. i have the same problem. My house cold and i use aged water so it kind of a little bit difficult ...because i am trying to make the same temperature +- 4*. I know everyone has own method :)

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #17 
Laki

Oh yea, I meant to express this- I started the good heater out at a lower temp to match what he was in, now it's at 76F. I didn't want the temp to rise too fast! That's all!! :D Yea, he is still clamped and I'm not getting a rise out of him when I get close. But he ate and is moving around a bit- I meant his is "skulking" as in totally depressed looking. He remains at the top and just glides around slowly, stays put for a while, then goes on again. I have seen an improvement for sure. Currently he is resting on a floating IAL. I didn't want to use salt in case he is not physically hurt.
I'm getting the bus now in 15 minutes out to test my water and refund the poor shrimpies. I don't want more if they haven't been introduced to freshwater (as someone on another forum suggested) Aw, poor shrimp. I feel awful! I never intended to hurt the little things.
Better luck next time I suppose. But I think Lakitu will make it afterall :)
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #18 
Sakura8

I'm glad to hear Lakitu is perking up a little. Phew! Hang in there, Lakitu!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #19 
Myrtaceae

Sorry I'm a little late to this-- I love shrimp. :)

I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a disease-- if something mass killed the ghost shrimp, the resulting ammonia spike from the decomposing bodies could have been enough to stress out poor Lakitu. :/

Inverts in general are pretty sensitive to ammonia, and if you recently moved around a lot of gravel you could have stirred some stuff up (resulting in a minor spike). OR the plants had something that wasn't invert friendly on them. Sometimes copper is used in fertilizers. It shouldn't be enough to harm the shrimp, but it could have worked in combo? Anything metal is a no-go around my invert tank. I had a mass shrimp die-off years back because of a thin wire inside a silk plant rusting.

Anyway, I've kept ghost shrimp in freshwater for ages before-- and I doubt they were in brackish water in the store because it's harder to maintain and many people only use them for feeders.

You'll know more after you test the water, but keep in mind that if the ammonia is high it could be a result of the dead ghost shrimp (and not what killed them).
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

I think 76* would be fine for him. Don't make higher, because i think it would be too fast. He was in 69* today now it 76*. And 76* is good anyway.

I am not sure about aq salt though. But i think recommendation for aq salt is to treat if fish has physical symptoms. And i think he is. I wish someone else will tell you what to do. But I am pretty sure you need more water changes or aq salt if he will not get better.

I hope he will recover. I feel bad about poor shrimp but it not your fault. You did your best...

Give us update please.