Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #21 
Laki

Back from store, They tested my water and nothing. She said the ammonia was low if anything (the plants sucked it up) and she told me something might have been used aorund the tank and they might be sensitive to copper/metals. Dumbfounded, we walked around the store a bit. I found out when I got home that the *&^%$#$ hornwort was still wrapped up in whatever the store keeps the bunches together with- a metal fastener.
**Facepalm**
SO, with metal poisoning as my conclusion, how do I speed Lakitu's recovery?

With my shrimp refund and the 3$ I saved by filling out an online survey I came home with... (*drumroll*) BOWSER!!! Lakitu's young brother. He's crowntail though he might be half combtail... Pics to come tomorrow as he is settling in for the night. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #22 
BETTACHKALOVE

I advised you don't use the same equipment between them though. In case he has any bacteria infection. I am not sure if you just need more water changes or aq salt. I just ask someone to look at your post :)

He is the same right? No new symptoms?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #23 
Sakura8

Technically, though, the metal weights wrapped around the plants should have been inert, meaning they shouldn't affect the water. If Petsmart uses the same metal bands that other plant companies use, anyway. The ones I've seen, you can actually keep on the plant and bury in the gravel without any problem. But then again, it IS Petsmart so who knows. Keep us updated on Bowser. :) I love the names, by the way.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #24 
Myrtaceae

Hmm. My guess would be the metal, although I don't know very much about plants so I'd trust Sakura when she says it's supposed to be inert. That said, eh, pet stores.

I'd ask for specifics next time you take your water there though. Ammonia can't be low...the ideal is 0ppm. In a cycled tank, ammonia shouldn't be detectible at all. Ask to see the strip with the color chart for yourself.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Thanks, Myrt. I hope it's inert. But it certainly does seem like the culprit here, doesn't it? Maybe the metal bands that Petsmart uses aren't the same as the others I've seen.

For metal poisoning, I think Prime and API Stress Coat both remove heavy metals from the water. Maybe try one of those and see if it helps alleviate any of his symptoms.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #26 
Silverfang

Eep! Sorry to hear that Laki got so sick! Hope he feels better.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #27 
Laki

She showed me the color chart as she was talking- she's one of the girls I actually trust there. I'll do a change today because his tank is a bit cloudy today, I'm almost certain the metal had something to do with it. The part of the plant it came off of I had to cut out because it was tarnished and dead looking.
Anything I gave Bowser was totally cleaned and new, except for the hornwort and IAL. He's doing perfect today- bit of bloat from the store is all.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #28 
Brian10962001

I highly doubt it's metal, the metal straps are inert. Copper is what kills shrimp, did you use hot or warm water for your last few water changes? Also check your de chlorinator there have been bad ones floating around. I would say you made these changes, introduced plants that had spots decaying and probably a few ghost shrimp that were already sickly. When they died, the tank just took a nose dive, plus the first photo period for the plants, who knows what happened with your water parameters. How's your betta coming along?
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #29 
BETTACHKALOVE

I stopped buying plants from the stores. I am using spider plant (herbaceous plant) It very easy to grow and it stay longer than any other plant from the store. And i know it safe. A lot of people have it. If you take a branch piece from it you can very easily grow.

The store which is next to my work had plants in the tank next to fish tank. And i saw how worker took water from the fish tank and pour it to the tank with plants, which i think not right, because you never know if that fish is healthy. So since then i am afraid to buy any plants from the pet store. I know that you guys discussing different issue but what i saw in my store can be in any other store.

Keep us update with Lakitu and his brother :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #30 
Laki

@Brian: I always rinse the gravel and silk plants etc in hot water but then they're cooled in cold water before I fill the tank. So I don't think the temperature of gravel is really involved, but it's a good suggestion that I'm sure gets overlooked a lot.
The water conditioner I've had for a while and with weekly changes Lakitu is so used to it that his sudden illness wouldn't have been a result- but again I can see a sudden change in conditioner affecting fish slime coats.
@BETTA, I haven't bought live plants from a fish tank since my moss ball (which was quarentined). These ones came from a plant only display in PetSmart. Do you mean spider plants that people have in their homes? How does it survive in your tank?! I love spider plants!!
I'll update in Bowser's own thread.
Lakitu is coming arounf slowly. Going to change some water now :)