Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 
Ucantimagine

Diagnosis?

Thursday I received 4 beautiful female Bettas and one of them took sick the next evening. The fish stores were closed and all I had to choose from at the megachain was Jungle Fungus Clear and Parasite Clear fizzy tabs. I bought both and decided to try the Fungus Clear. Yesterday she was very lethargic, just laying on the bottom of the tank. Today she is acting more like a healthy fish, but she's still swollen. She is not clamping her fins anymore and she's eating. I just wonder what this is and if it is a fungus, bacteria or parasite. I treated the entire tank as a precaution. The water they arrived in was a bit cold and the ammonia was .50. I put my biowheel in a container with the airline to preserve the bacteria and removed the carbon filter. I also added a 1/2 dose of aquarium salt. It's a 12 gallon with 3 cories and the 4 female Bettas. pH is right around neutral, temp is 78, ammonia 0. Fishless cycled for about 6 weeks then added the cories New Years weekend and had a mini cycle. I did a 50% WC and vac'd the gravel before medicating the tank and the instructions say a second dose can be given after 4 days and a 25% WC.

So my main concern is making sure I'm treating her properly. The Fungus Clear contains Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone and Potassium Dichromate. The Parasite Clear contains Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazone and Acriflavine.

Thanks,
Dee
Ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 
Comet1993

It looks like she has something white on her mouth, or is that just a glare? She's so cute; I like her colors. :)
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
Ucantimagine

No it's just glare. Right now, I only see swelling so I'm hoping to cure it before it gets to the point of seeing fungal growth, if that's what it is. Her eyes are cloudy though, I think I forgot to mention that. Yes she's very pretty. I named her Jewel.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Did you see any actual fungus on her? What are her symptoms exactly?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #5 
Ucantimagine

Before I started treating, she was just lying at the bottom of the tank, not doing much of anything. Her fins were a little clamped and she was breating a little heavy. Now she's acting more normally and appears to be improving. It's been 48 hours since I treated. I've started PWC's to reduce the amount of medicine and have been introducing aquarium salt.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #6 
Ucantimagine

Since I just got her, I can't really say for sure if she has any fungus on her or not since I can't compare her coloring before she got sick. I don't see anything obvious. It seems like she could have a film over her body, but that could just be her slime coat.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 
callistra

that is A LOT of different meds to be pumping into your betta all in one go and you've added aq to boot.. I would have started with one good med that is known to treat internal infections and possibly some epsoms for the bloat. If it's working.. idk but be careful as that's a lot of stress on your fish right now.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I am noticing a lot of damage to her face - mainly the blackened scars, on her faceplate... It can be that she was not used to the water you have, vs the ammonia sludge she came in... I've had bettas do the same, mainly the really sickly ones, but they usually pull through with some Epsom salt, and watching them like a hawk
However, is it just me or are there some scales on her forehead that don't look like they should be like that?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I agree with Callistra. Perhaps your girl was simply stressed out and is not really sick, as she doesn't seem to be showing any other symptoms except perhaps some bloating. Which could possibly be egginess. Watch her very carefully on the AQ salt or better yet, wean her off of it and see how she does in just clean, warm water. If you do keep her in AQ salt, do not keep her in there for longer than 10 days, 14 days at the absolute max.

Good luck with her. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 
hedgehog

Also be very careful when adding aquarium salt to a tank with cories in it. Cories are scaleless fish and they do not tolerate aquarium salt well/at all. So keep an eye on your cories as well as your girl.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote