Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 
Layman

Color name?

I've looked at all the standard color types, but what's the name for the ones that have an opal quality? Like a mother of pearl sheen?

Also, as far as "rarity" of coloration, is there a consensus on the rarity scale? I see white and black routinely listed as the top dogs, but there isn't a definitive listing anywhere that I can see. I see whites pretty often, though more often than not, they have a touch of other color. Blacks seem far less common, but they too often have some other color mixed in.
Layman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #2 
Bambi

Do you have a picture? Because otherwise i'm just assuming your have a white with iridescence?

"rare" depends on where you are and where you get your fish. Orange dalmatians may be 'rare' in some areas or super common(like in mine).
Personally, any "quality" fish is rare here. We get butterflies and coppers and laces but none of them are very good quality.

umm..inheirntly a true albino(red eyes and all) is rare.
dark forest green is rare.
true purple(not salamander or the red/blues alot of people call purple)

A white isn't hard to come by, and they fairly breed true(white + white = white)..but a white that will not marble or gain red when it grows older is rare. almost all whites will get red wash with age unless red-loss gene is present.

A melano black can be quite hard to find, harder if you want less iridescence(the blue shine). Black laces are, like i said, fairly common here, not sure about other places. Superblacks are rare I suppose...I adore the ones on aquabid but never seem them outside of it and even on it I can't always find one.

New colors/patterns/strains come along all the time though.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 
Layman

I think it is a white with iridescence. The camera I have can't catch the colors, and the only one that's similar I won't link to... you can find it at "f"yeahbettas. I googled white betta with iridescence and saw it. My daughter's fish is a super-delta and has an opal quality to it. It isn't white to the eye, but throws color like oil on water. She named her Hope.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #4 
Sprinkles

Is your betta's white similar to the one in my avatar? He was a Pastel. :)
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #5 
Layman

Yes, but less translucent. Also, the tail is less than HM, but more than Delta. When he flares, it looks like one continuous fin. I'll try to get a camera that isn't in a phone to shoot him. He's the best looking one out of our four.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #6 
Sprinkles

Pastels come in varying shades of translucence, so he could be Pastel. If he's not translucent at all, if he's got white pigment all over - even on his head, then he's Opaque. Opaques should be pearly white, but some have a blue or green sheen to them. A picture would definitely help figure it out for sure. :)

As far as finnage it does sound like a super delta, as you said. Sounds like one pretty fish!
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote