Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
battered

is this fin rot? tailbiting? pics included

It's mainly the top part of his caudal fin. It hasn't gotten substantially worse, but I noticed it a couple of days ago.

He's the only fish in a 10 gallon filtered, heated, and planted tank, although there are a few ghost shrimp and amanos.
Attached Images

battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

It does look like finrot to me. There's a lot of black areas along the edges of his fins where it seems it has been affected.
Think it's time to get him into a hospital tank and treat him for it.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 
callistra

Is it fully cycled and how often/much do you do a water change?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 
battered

No, it's a relatively new tank (about a month old), and I do weekly ~20 to 30% changes. Recently because of this problem I've been doing daily water changes, adding aquarium salt as well. Should I treat with medication? If so, what kind? I ordered indian almond leaves if that helps.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 
callistra

On a tank you are choosing to do fish in cyling this is not enough of a water change. You need to be monitoring ammonia very closely with a test kit (preferably drops) and do a partial change every time you see .25ppm ammonia. That water change is appropriate once it is fully cycled. This is why you're having problems with fin rot. I don't think he needs meds, but you really need to be testing the water while you're trying to cycle with a fish in it so that would be a good investment. Also don't want to use aq in a planted tank..

so I would just get the test kit and test the water and do whatever change you need to bring everything good and just watch him. If it just keeps getting worse, starts to rot very quickly or reaches anywhere near his body then it's time for meds. You're going to want a hospital tank for this because aq is no good in your planted tank and meds will crash your cycle.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 
battered

So should this problem fix itself if I just keep doing water changes? How big of a water change should I do?

I have 6 in 1 test strips, but it doesn't measure ammonia. Is this good? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754009