Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

Cycling?

I have a ten gallon just plain rocks no live plants. I cycled it once before and all went well. After I lost my fish I did a 90% change. i changed to filter a few weeks ago. I just put it in not sure if thats bad or not. I cleaned the tank and some of the rocks and all the plants. Stuff was covered in algae. Do I need to recycle my tank? Right now I just have nitrates at 5.0 and everything else is at 0 exept Ph that is 7.2. I did a 25% water change yesterday and retested and have the same nitrates. How can I lower them? Or with enough water changes will it just go down? Should I add ammonia and just redo everything or since I left some of the old water should it be okay? I will do another water change tomorrow.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your nitrates are fine and right where they should be.....Nitrate is what we look for to tell us cycling stages...however, you want to keep nitrate under 20ppm and once you add the fish I would monitor for ammonia, nitrite spikes and make the needed water only changes to keep them 0.25ppm or less...Ideally 0ppm....along with your regular weekly with vacuum water change

As long as you have something organic in the tank-they usually will hold the cycle...the algae did that for you most likely or if you had anything alive in the tank like snails....the beneficial bacteria will be limited-but it shouldn't take long to have a stable biological filter functioning....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

Thanks! I hope to add 1 fish tomorrow. I read a few posts and everyone seems to keep it at 0 ppm so I thought that was what it should be at, but if it's fine I won't mess with it!

I was reading that when vaccuming I should remove all fake plants and all ornaments. Whats your opinion on this as before I had read you shouldn't remove that stuff. I am dividing my ten g so it would make it easier but I don't want to mess with whatever balance the tank has.

Last edited by a123andpoof; 01-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its really better to not remove decorations and plants-when you make your weekly vacuum- you should just vacuum in all places you can reach without moving things around.

If you need to make a full re-scape-be sure and vacuum really deep and well in all the places you removed/moved anything...

The beneficial bacteria are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas in the tank, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media-very little are in the water column itself-so water only changes will not hurt the nitrogen cycle-but over cleaning can, however, too much mulm/debris especially on the filter media and substrate can suffocate the BB since they need oxygen-but you also have some that don't need oxygen that are important for the nitrogen cycle too...you have both nitrification and denitrification that occurs.....its a balance.....

Since you need to make some big changes to add the divider-I would do what you need to do-vacuum really good and monitor the water prams and make the needed water changes-just like you would do with a fish-in cycle or after a major cleaning....
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

Okay. Thanks. I am not recycling as it doesn't seem it is necessary being I cycled once...
Also how often should I change the filter? The last time I left it till it was really bad, but then read the package and it said every month. Does it really need to be that often? And in a cycled tank how would you go about doing that?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Unless you plan to use charcoal/carbon (not needed) you don't need to change the filter media until its falling apart...it does need to be removed a couple of times a month and given a good rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water with a water change to maintain good water flow......
If you plan to use carbon-that needs to be changed per package direction since it is short lived and can't be recharged...it won't hurt to leave inactive carbon...it just provide more surface area for the BB....
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Thanks for bearing with me OFL! And everytime I clean the tank I do make sure to swish the carteridge. And I always rinse the carbon off. Thanks for all help! I am working hard to build a betta home for my fish!