Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 
caitic10

Is this dropsy?

My Mom kept Po in her office and brought him home two months ago. He was fat, and the car ride really stressed him out. He was laying on his side and having trouble swimming. This was in June.

I started fasting him frequently and feeding him a bit less. Instead of losing weight, he gained it.

Now, two months later, his stomach is HUGE. He used to always flare at us and was a very active fish, but now he lies on his gravel all day, on his side. I think he's pineconeing. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

He hasn't lost colour, but his stomach is grey. He eats fine but he just lies around all day....

I'm checking the temperature of the tank now. The tank is maybe about 2 gallons? I cant remember. I feed him Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets.

Please help!
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
callistra

Please fill this out:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
In the meantime go and try to find Maracyn and Maracyn 2 meds, Kanaplex (and focus ideally to feed as well as bathe) or Maracyn Plus as well as Epsoms salts (pure 100% not additives) and be prepared to treat. Your guy needs meds.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 
caitic10

Housing
What size is your tank? about two gallons
What temperature is your tank? finding my thermomiter
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? two in the morning, two at night, fast twice a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Whenever I can, pretty often
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His stomach is huge and grey. His stomach as sticking up slightly.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is lethargic and lays on his side all day only coming up for food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He was lethergic for two months and I tried various treatments. Only recently has be begun lying on his side and pineconeing.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fasting, water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-3 years
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 
callistra

Your guy really needs a heater unless you're keeping the room he's in in the 80s. A Marineland Visitherm 25w heater should be okay in that size of a tank. Just make sure to test it out first to make sure it works. I've never had a problem with one but better safe than sorry. There may be other lower wattage heaters that work but I know about that one for sure. It'll run you about $20. You also need to always have an in tank glass thermometer to monitor temps. The heater will probably need to be adjusted differently than actual setting (usually a few degrees off). Once you determine what the room temp is keeping the tank set the heater a couple degrees below what you think would be room temp (so say the bowl is at 70 now set the heater at like 66 and then click it up one degree slowly until you see it come on.. that's exactly the difference between the thermometer setting and actual temp setting. You're going to have to acclimate him to the temp slowly. You don't want to just set it 10 degrees or whatever immediately up and stress him with that change right away especially since a tank that size will heat quickly. Since he's as sick as he is I wouldn't let the water rise more than a degree or two every hour or two. This gradual increase should be ok for him as it would take less time for a floated cup to acclimate to tank temp. I aim for 78-79 degrees.

A 2 gallon tank should be changed every 3-4 days max (so meaning at least twice a week) but possibly more frequently. It would not be a bad idea to invest in an ammonia drops testing kit and test daily until you get an idea of how often you need to change. .25ppm ammonia needs at least a partial change but I try to get in the habit of knowing when my tank is likely to hit that point and making a change the day before.

Your guy definitely needs meds. What does his poop look like and how often does he go? This could be parasites or bacterial but since you don't feed live foods and he is exhibiting no darting/odd movements and he is in an unheated tank best guess is it's probably bacterial. Lower temps lead to swim bladder problems but I think at this point it's become an infection and needs treatment. Try to find one of the med combos I suggested above. The heater will help prevent this from happening in the future. The lower temps slow down the digestive tract as well as weaken his immune system.

Quote:
In the meantime go and try to find Maracyn and Maracyn 2 meds, Kanaplex (and focus ideally to feed as well as bathe) or Maracyn Plus as well as Epsoms salts (pure 100% not additives) and be prepared to treat. Your guy needs meds.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Caitic, have you tried epsom salt? Get him into 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon right away while you search for the meds.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote