Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #11 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I'd ask here first :) You can also do a forum search in the forum search bar and restrict it to say... the compatibility section of the forum or whatever you'd like.
I have my tetras in a 10 gallon tank alone they have a regular flow filter (they like to play in the stream lol), a heater set to 70 & has artificial plants, I feed them twice a day & the water parm. are fine but lately they have been losing color at weird times. Last night they were almost clear but this morning they are back to normal.

Is this normal? What could cause them to lose color? They are Neon Tetras btw.

Thank you again for the advice!
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Tropical fish like water between 75-78F, Tetras loose color when they are stressed out. The cold water would really stress them out, usually temps drop at night as well. They also like lots of places to hide, as Tetras tend to be smaller fish of prey and feel more secure in larger groups with hiding spaces :)

Could you divide your 5g for the two females? And then get some more glo danios? Regular Danios would work fine as well. Danios should really be in groups of 5-6+, they are quite nippy and territorial. The ones in my 29g tank are savages. I have three, they kill any other Danios I add to my tank lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #13 
Bettas Rule
Banned

The glow fish could have died of natural causes too. I didn't see anyone mention that. I have never seen a fish die and not be picked at and eaten so if you didn't see any aggression I wouldn't jump to that conclusion right off the bat. They are right about the females though, you really do need more than two. :)
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Given that you have a ghost shrimp and two carnivores in there, it's also possible the glofish died of something unrelated and got eaten by his tankmates. When I lose a fish, if I don't find the body within 12 hours, I will never see it again because my cories, shrimp and betta girls will destroy the evidence.

^^ Covered!

I usually say this to people who think animals or fish are killing each other. It's natural for animals to remove bodies of dead friends to avoid predators smelling the body and coming for a snack. By disposing of the body, they keep the healthy and alive fish safe. I see this all the time with small animals, people freaking out saying "My hamster killed and ate my other one!" No, your hamster cleaned up the mess before a predator came and made a snack out of everyone lol No killing happened. It's usually a natural cause for the first animal to pass.

Would you believe I still have fish that are unaccounted for?

Best yes, OP totally needs to have the girls in two tanks, or start a sorority with 5 girls :)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #15 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
^^ Covered!

I usually say this to people who think animals or fish are killing each other. It's natural for animals to remove bodies of dead friends to avoid predators smelling the body and coming for a snack. By disposing of the body, they keep the healthy and alive fish safe. I see this all the time with small animals, people freaking out saying "My hamster killed and ate my other one!" No, your hamster cleaned up the mess before a predator came and made a snack out of everyone lol No killing happened. It's usually a natural cause for the first animal to pass.

Best yes, OP totally needs to have the girls in two tanks, or start a sorority with 5 girls :)

I am going to go get some more females today, I would love to have a sorority!!! There is a LFS here that buys back tanks, so I'm going to trade my 5gallon for a 20 so I can add more females, as well as, purchasing some more tetras & Glofish to add to my 2 10 gallon tanks.

I raised up the temp on the tetra's tank to 75 so that it will rise gradually. Don't want to shock them!

Thank you all for the helpful advice!!! It is truly appreciated!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #16 
Pitluvs

And thank YOU for taking it so nicely! haha
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #17 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
^^ Covered!

I usually say this to people who think animals or fish are killing each other. It's natural for animals to remove bodies of dead friends to avoid predators smelling the body and coming for a snack. By disposing of the body, they keep the healthy and alive fish safe. I see this all the time with small animals, people freaking out saying "My hamster killed and ate my other one!" No, your hamster cleaned up the mess before a predator came and made a snack of everyone lol No killing happened. It's usually a natural cause for the first animal to pass.

OOPS my bad Thats what I get for skimming over the posts
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #18 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
+1
I would have gotten offended by the caps lock comment, so good for you for keeping your cool. Caps to me is yelling and I hate being yelled at
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #19 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Why on earth would I be anything but elated to get sound advice??? People that come here with their bettas in frickin vases with no filter or heater & then spout off about "Well, the pestore said this is like their natural environment!" aren't asking for advice, they are just looking for some justification so they can feel better about treating an animal inhumanly!!!

Ok, enough ranting. Picked up a 20 gallon today, going to do a fishless cycle for 6 weeks then try to add my neons & Glofish together in there with some extras of both & put my females in a 10 gallon & get a sorority going.

Thank you again for all the advice!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #20 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSushi View Post
Why on earth would I be anything but elated to get sound advice??? People that come here with their bettas in frickin vases with no filter or heater & then spout off about "Well, the pestore said this is like their natural environment!" aren't asking for advice, they are just looking for some justification so they can feel better about treating an animal inhumanly!!!

Ok, enough ranting. Picked up a 20 gallon today, going to do a fishless cycle for 6 weeks then try to add my neons & Glofish together in there with some extras of both & put my females in a 10 gallon & get a sorority going.

Thank you again for all the advice!!!

I got my 20 gallon set up and running in less than a week with a used filter cartridge and water from one of my larger 55 gallon tanks. Still even with all new materials it should only take like 2 weeks tops to filter a 20 gallon. If you add a little bit of fish food to the water it is like adding a fish in and helps with the process. Once the water goes from cloudy to clear you are fine. Good luck!!