Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #21 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I got my 20 gallon set up and running in less than a week with a used filter cartridge and water from one of my larger 55 gallon tanks. Still even with all new materials it should only take like 2 weeks tops to filter a 20 gallon. If you add a little bit of fish food to the water it is like adding a fish in and helps with the process. Once the water goes from cloudy to clear you are fine. Good luck!!
That is great advice! Thank you! I'm a little paranoid about the Glofish, because the LFS I buy them from charge $6 per fish for them so it would suck if they all died because I got trigger happy & just tossed them in there. How should I do it if I want to use an older filter cartridge? Should I let it float in the tank? How long would I need to leave it in there before switching to the new one or should I even switch it at all? Thank you again!
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #22 
Pitluvs

What I do is double filter all my cycled tanks. When I want to start up a new tank, I take a filter cartridge from a cycled tank and put it into the new tanks filter. Then I put a new one back in place of the one I took from the cycled tank. Best thing to do it place it right into the filter of the new tank and let it run. You'll need fish in the tank though, because that bacteria needs to feed off ammonia and such that fish produce. I am not sure about Glofish, but Danios are very hardy fish and should have no issue with it. I do this with all my tanks.

**You could always do this with Filter Fiber (looks like polyester fill) instead of filters to save some money**

You could double up your filter in one of your cycled tanks now, and in a week or two transfer it to the 20g and then your cycle should be jump started. Just add some new Glofish, so you can quarantine the new fish and cycle at the same time. Then when everything is stable, add your Glofish you have now. A week later, add your neons and quarantine some new neons in the 10g when it's empty. That's what I would do anyways! Don't add fish all at once or you overload the bacteria and the cycle could crash.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #23 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSushi View Post
That is great advice! Thank you! I'm a little paranoid about the Glofish, because the LFS I buy them from charge $6 per fish for them so it would suck if they all died because I got trigger happy & just tossed them in there. How should I do it if I want to use an older filter cartridge? Should I let it float in the tank? How long would I need to leave it in there before switching to the new one or should I even switch it at all? Thank you again!
I just put mine into the filter and use it till the water is clear. If you can try to add an extra sponge onto the used carbon filter, that way when you replace the carbon with new carbon you still have a source for beneficial bacteria (the sponge)
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

Also, glofish, being a form of danio, are pretty hardy, so you have to work hard to kill them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #25 
ILoveSushi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Also, glofish, being a form of danio, are pretty hardy, so you have to work hard to kill them.
That's good to know. I think I'll go with the double filter cycle until I can get the tank established. Thank you all for the advice it's amazing!
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote