Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

FINALLY... New tank setup

So after a leaking tank and many other hurdles I had to conquere I finally have a cycled, divided 10 gal setup for my two new guys that I got back in November! In the meantime one lived in a breeding net in my 29 gal community and the other in a heated bowl for some time and then in the other side of my other 10 gal divided tank while I was nursing my tail-biter.

And now for the pics! The first one is of Moonie, a delta pastel (at least that's what I think; I've never gotten him to flare). The second is Orchid, a HM copper dragon. He's good at flaring but not staying still. When I get a little extra cash I'm going to try to get some containers like copperarabian recommended and get some really good photos of all my guys. The lights in this tank are new, so that's why the photos come out okay. I also plan on adding more plants. Bloody anubias grows so slowly I'll probably have money for another before this one gets large enough to split.
Attached Images

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 
Badjer

Looks great! I bet the boys are thrilled to have their own spaces. My only recommendation would be to cover the dividers on the outside with some black electrical tape. I was amazed at how much better it made my divided tank look!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

you know I never thought of doing my tank like that. I have two divided tanks, and I never thought of using a little middle section to filter and heat the two sides. +1 for that! looks GREAT!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Looks great! I bet the boys are thrilled to have their own spaces. My only recommendation would be to cover the dividers on the outside with some black electrical tape. I was amazed at how much better it made my divided tank look!
*headdesk* I knew I forgot something. Off to rummage in the pile of stuff that is my garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
you know I never thought of doing my tank like that. I have two divided tanks, and I never thought of using a little middle section to filter and heat the two sides. +1 for that! looks GREAT!
Thanks!! This was something I never thought of either. I have two divided tanks done like this, and I don't think I'll ever go back. Here is how I came to the final product:

When I put my first two boys in a divided tank I noticed that with no water circulation I was getting pretty severe water stratification. The water at the bottom was around 60F and the top close to 80F!! Not good. Well I tried adding the old HOB filter, but I just couldn't get the baffle just right. I read about DIY bubble filters online and decided to try one. It worked great. Whole tank was a balmy 79F. I took the thermometer around the entire thing to test it. The heater was on one side of the divider and the bubble filter on the other. I had this setup for a few days. One morning I woke up and couldn't find Knucker. I went into panic mode. I checked the other side; he wasn't dead or fighting with Poofer. I checked the floor; he wasn't there. Cats hadn't been in my room that night. And then I saw it. He was lodged in between the sponge and the wall. Panicked, I removed the sponge and let him swim away. He seemed relatively unscathed minus the few scales he was missing. Well I knew I had to do something. I knew I needed the filter and heater and they needed to be close together. After some panicked brainstorming (I was due to leave for a short vacation with my boyfriend that day), I settled on 3 sections with the middle section specifically for equipment. It's worked out great! They can barely see each other, so they only flare every once in a while. I get a heater and a filter and don't have to worry about them burning themselves or getting stuck in the filter. They only lose a few cm of water due to the middle section, but I don't think they mind at all.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #5 
miish

The tank looks great with that setup, the middle part is such a good idea :)

Looooove Moonies colour ! Such a pretty guy!
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miish View Post
The tank looks great with that setup, the middle part is such a good idea :)

Looooove Moonies colour ! Such a pretty guy!
Thanks! I fell in love with him for just that reason. These guys were kinda impulse/betta bug buys. But I love them just the same.

When I get my other tank aquascaped and glue in the dividers, I'll post pics of it and the boys in it.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 
blueridge

Wow that's a neat idea! Never thought about dividing a tank like that and both of your boys are gorgeous!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

wow I love this! great idea!!! thats awesome.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

Love it!!!!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Thanks guys! You are more than welcome to use the design. I don't have a copyright on it, lol.