Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Question Help Me Decide!

I've been wanting a betta for a long time now and I still can't decide on what type. I've had bettas before, but none of my own so I really want one NOW! I would be keeping it in about a 1.5-2 gallon bowl with rocks (not gravel), and a few plastic plants. I am also wanting to see other users bettas! I dont know what gender of betta would work better in a bowl or what type is the prettiest to own. If you can answer any of these questions, PLEASE COMMENT!
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #2 
ManInBlack2010

as for type its personal preferance, for myself i LOVE Halfmoons, Delta Tails, Super Delta, etc - but i love me some veiltail as well. i would suggest, however, that you consider getting a 1-2.5g tank instead of a bowl. bowls are harder to heat and bettas need water that is around 78-80F or they get sluggish and sick. silk plants are prefered for them since their fins can get caught and rip on the plastic ones, likewise make sure any decorations you get do not have any rough edges :)

gender is also personal preferance, males tend to have the large tails and more color but i've seen some absolutely GORGEOUS girls too, just look at the display and find one that looks healthy and sorta 'calls to you', lol

you wanted pics of our bettas so here's a link to a thread with my kids' pictures in it
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=89276

good luck on your betta hunt! keep us updated and post pics when you find 'the one!'
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
Badjer

+1 on the tank over the bowl. I have a 2.5 Aqueon Mini Bow that I love, and it's easy to clean.

Gender is entirely up to you. I've only owned one female longgg ago so I don't have much experience with them. There's some really pretty ones out there these days, but some people prefer the flashier males. As for tail type, I'm a half-moon plakat/plakat person myself. I currently own three crown tails but I have a HMPK boy coming in a few days. I just prefer the shorter fins and it means I'll never have to worry about tail biting! But it's a preference thing really. (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Is it easier to own a male or a female?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #5 
Badjer

Neither is easier than the other. Each can have their own individual personalities, and require the same care. (:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #6 
Sprinkles

Also +1 on getting a tank over a bowl. As well as a heater. If you don't have a lot to spend or care about having anything super fancy, Petco sells kritter keepers that work just fine. The large (2.5g) size is just $13.

I have both males and females, and I really don't prefer one over the other. I love them all equally. :) And they require the same amount of care, so that's really up to you and what you want. As far as finnage, I too have fallen in love with plakats/halfmoon plakats. They come in so many different colors, it's easy to get mesmerized I think. XD I also have a halfmoon, and while he is stunning, I do worry about tail biting. Which you have to think about for any of the long finned varieties.

I would go to the store and look through them. Usually, as was mentioned, there's just one that will speak to you. :)
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Does anyone know a good breeder?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #8 
Badjer

Are you interested in Thailand breeders, U.S., or a different country?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 
4alwaysAbettaluver

USA preferably in arizona
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 
Badjer

I'm not sure where he's located, but I've heard great things about Chard56. He has beautiful fish for very reasonable prices. I've also heard Martinsmommy is a good breeder, although she doesn't always have fish available and I'm not sure on her location either.