Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 
Nerd Rage

Thinking about adding shrimp.

Hello, new to the forums.

I just set up my betta tank about a week ago, its 5 gallons with the live plants, and still no algae build up in it.

Anywho, I was thinking about adding shrimp, ghost, cherry, whatever, it dont matter what type to me, but before that i have some questions.

1. Should I wait for a little algae build up? or is it ok right now and just throw in an algae waffer to feed them? *I dont overfeed my betta so i dont think there would be enough scraps for the shrimp to eat on the bottom*

2. I have a few hiding places, i.e a house, fake plants, and rocks everywhere, is this enough coverage for the shrimp to hide in? or should i try to get a hold of another hiding hole for the lil guys? I was thinking of a false log to stick in the corner behind the fake plants if needed.
* ill throw a pic of my tank at the bottom of the post so everyone can get an idea of what i have*

3. Live plants needed? I dont have any, but if I can work without this its what i would prefer.

Just a few things i've been wondering before trying this out. Thanks in advance for the help.

Nerd Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
Myrtaceae

I love shrimp, though I've had mixed success keeping them with a betta (mine all seem to be born killers). If you are going to be cycling the tank, I'd wait to cycle it before adding the shrimp because they aren't as hardy as bettas when it comes to ammonia/nitrite.

Tank looks beautiful, but I'd consider adding a few more places for the shrimp to hide (preferably where the betta can't get in), so he doesn't kill them when they molt. In my invert tank, I use little terra cotta pots from the craft store (like 4 for $2) and bury them halfway in the sand. Mine mostly dog paddle around in the open, but they need safe places for molting.

If you pick up the sinking algae wafers, you can break them into pieces. Your betta might chase them at first, but he'll spit it right out unless he's really hungry-- so feed him first. I use about 1/4 of a small tablet for about 10 shrimp.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

How many red cherry shrimp could you keep inside a 2.5 gallon tank with a betta? Considering it....
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 
Bronwen

I'm about to transfer my betta to a 10 gallon tank. Poor guy is lethargic (possibly too cool) and fouls the water in just a few days. I'm looking for companion creatures for the tank and also interested in shrimp. Any advise on adding them (other than good hiding spaces) and care for the shrimp? I'm a total aquarium novice.

Plan so far: Pick up new aquarium with companion creatures. Let them settle in a few days - 1 week, then move Horace to his new home. Ideally I'd like to move him immediately but think it may be too much of a shock for him?
Bronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Nerd Rage: Your tank is beautiful! If you are thinking of shrimp, I would definitely get some more cover. If you don't mind trying live plants, java moss and java fern are both easy to keep and would look lovely with that Zen feeling you've got going on there. Shrimp especially love java moss. Java fern can be tied onto a terracotta pot or a piece of driftwood, both of which would add more hiding spots for the shrimp.

My personal favourites are cherries (they are prettier, friendlier and breed more easily), but ghosties tend to get eaten less if your betta is a shrimp-mauler. I've been lucky with mine. If you get enough cherries, they will breed faster than they are eaten, though.

PaintingPintos: Up to 25. 10-15 would be a good starting number, I think. :)

Bronwen: In a ten gallon you have a couple of options, but you'll need to cycle the tank before adding any fish. Many fish aren't as hardy as bettas and won't live through the cycle (I wouldn't even put a betta through the cycle, myself). Some good tankmates include ember tetras, endler's livebearers, cory catfish and shrimp (not all at once).
I'd modify your plan to:
1) Pick up the tank and let it cycle (this could take 6 weeks -google the nitrogen cycle if you aren't sure)
2) Add your new critters
3) Add your betta last.
Alternatively, if you need to get your betta out of his current tank ASAP, buy the tank, move him over straight away and do a fish-in cycle with plenty of water changes. Then take him out and let him float in a bag whilst you re-arrange everything and add the new critters. Then add him back in. This should help prevent any aggression. :)

Welcome to both of you new guys, by the way! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 
Dragonii

I keep Amano shrimp in my tanks with me Bettas. They seem to do well and will eat everything from algae to left over food.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote