Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Open wounds... and fin rot? or something else?

I think Im going to cry...
After loosing 6 bettas in one blow, one of my new boys, Slate, is sick
He is acting fine, he LOOKED fine this morning
But when I fed tonight (late I know) I noticed something weird about his fins (besides the fact they were a bit shorter) I removed him and noticed something off on his head...
He is covered in these raw wounds, the worst being on his head, but really they are all over him, they are outlined in an odd black... thing... I can't tell if its fuzzy or not
he also has what Im guessing is finrot, though that is not as bad as the open sores....
He is currently floating in my sorority (warmer and more stable than the 3 gallon he was in), he was being treated with Jungle parasites (he had parasites when I got him) and I am continuing that (he stil has parasites) and also with AQ salt

Originial thread from when I got him (so you can see his conditions he was in)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90106

A newer update (one pic that shows his head)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90304

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Yikes! I wonder if he has rubbed himself raw on something because of his parasites? Or is he in something round that he can't rub on? Do you see any black bumps or just black outlines? I'm trying to figure out if he may have fish lice, which you can tell by black lumps attached to the body and fins.

The AQ salt should help with the slime coat to keep infection at bay but I'm definitely stil concerned about secondary bacterial infections. How much longer to go on the Jungle Parasite?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

Because he was doing parasite treatment he was in an empty 1.5 gallon tank... bare bottom so there is nothing he could have rubbed it on and he is covered in these open sores... the one on his head is already slightly bigger

Tomorrow will be his last day, then I will wait two days and if he still has them I would notmally repeat but I'll hold that off while treating... this.... though I have NO clue how to

He has black lumps on his fins, but his fins are also now COVERED in holes.. and not pin holes... they were not there when I took the pictures two hours ago... Im checking his body for black lumps
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

No black lumps on his body at all, the ones on his fins look more like finrot
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Hmm. What kind of parasites did he have?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

Internal, he had black poop with white strings, a few of my walmart bettas have had it, especially the ones like him who had lots of molded food on the bottom
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Okay. Then once he's done with his Jungle Parasite treatment, let's get him straight into Maracyn II and General Cure in combination if you can. That's probably the best combo for what he has right now. The Maracyn II will combat any possible bacterial infection and the General Cure will finish up treating the internal parasites as well as any possible external parasites. It will also help, to a small degree, any internal bacterial problems.

If you can't get the medicines (totally understandable if you can't), then continue him on the Jungle Parasite and the AQ salt. At the very least, the AQ salt will help prevent infection.

Has he been doing any rubbing or darting? Usually when there are sores that bad, it's because some parasite is causing them. :/
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

I only have API Melafix... I have not used it since it contains tea tree oil ... there are no local petstore near me so I have to order everything off of the internet... I just ordered the Maracyn II but it wont be here for 3-6 days :-/ and thats if I'm lucky, last thing I ordered online took a month to arrive
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #9 
LittleBettas

He hasn't been doing ANY rubbing or darting, he acts completely fine, swimming and flaring at the betta next to him... now that he's floating in the sorority, he's being fierce about the girls, but once I turned the light off they went to bed and he settled down (even built a little nest)
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Hmm. In theory, the MelaFix should be okay as long as you are very careful not to overdose. In low amounts, the tea tree oil should be harmless. But that's entirely up to you whether you want to use it or not. In fact, it might actually be beneficial since tea tree oil is supposed to be good for surface wounds.

Okay, glad to hear he hasn't been darting. I think we can rule out external parasites but that still leaves me puzzled as to what is causing those ulcers.