Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #1 
kesomon

Woe is I, I cannot has a betta

I made a list of everything I need to build, support, and maintain a healthy betta tank, and I realised there's just too many things that either have expiration dates, meaning they can't be saved for extended periods, or are too big to store easily in my tiny little room. I could get it all if I wanted to, but it would require a loss of secrecy in my hoarding, and my mom would get mad. I have yet to find an argument that would convince her my cause is just.

So I guess, at this time, I can't have a betta. Woe! Woe is I! ;-;

I think I'll still gather the smaller items though. Easily storable, non-expiry items that can be kept until the time is more fortuitous.
kesomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #2 
mardi

I think starting to collect supplies now is a wonderful idea!

Sometimes parents just need to know how serious you are, and how willing you are to take care of a pet before they even consider getting one. I'd start collecting items, little by little, and let your parents see what you're getting. Maybe even explaining to them why you purchased the item (Example: "I bought a heater today, because the Betta is a tropical fish, and it's important to keep the temperature of their water warm (78-80 is ideal) and stable to promote health.).

You never know, by the time you have everything you need, they might have changed their minds.

Good luck!
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #3 
kesomon

Eh, if I showed them what I was getting, I'd get the disapproving looks and the argument of "see, I told you fish were too high-maintenance. Stop wasting your money." And then they'd watch me like a hawk and I'd not be able to hoarde things in secret anymore. *sigh* I wish I was gainfully employed and living in my own place like my brother. I should've been a programmer instead of a web designer.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #4 
kesomon

But I'm getting maudlin. That's no good. Think positive, Kesomon! One day, I shall be employed and have my own place, and I shall have as many fish as I want.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #5 
mardi

That sounds like an all too familiar situation. My reply to that would be "They're not too high maintenance! Most of these supplies i'm getting will last their whole lifetime!"

I'd still start buying supplies now, even if to just say "Just putting these on reserve for when I have my own place". But then again, I've always been kind of sharply spoken like that. lol

Just keep thinking positive.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #6 
kesomon

I've got the tank, gravel and decorations already, but its the filter, heater, cleaning supplies, water balancers, food and storage that trips me up. The heater and filter I want I can only find online. Though I suppose waiting on the filter is a good idea - the one I'm looking at, the Marina S10 slim power filter, is relatively new doesn't have a lot of reviews for it, so no one's reported any problems with it yet. I'd hate to be the one to realise whether or not it sucks after a month's use. And of course, the balancers and food and stuff expire after a while, so I'd rather get those as close to needing them as possible, and everything else needs storage space.

I don't even want to take the tags and stuff off the decorations cuz I keep changing my mind as to what I want the tank to look like. lol. I was originally going to go with a black and blue Tron theme, cuz the betta I have my eye on right now looks like one of the programs in the original movie. ^^; but I couldn't find suitably colored material, so I shifted focus.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
BettaMommy531rip

It's been easy for me to get bettas and other stuff like that, because my mom had a 15 gallon of tropical fish when she was growing up so she's into it. I do have a tank/fish limit though. Also I mostly have to pay for everything myself, but it's a hobby. Be straight and serious w/ your parents. Give it to them hard and fast! You are a tigress! RAWR!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #8 
kfryman

I wouldn't bother with the water balancers, if you mess up on a dose or miss a dose it can be lethal. Btw bettas are extremely adaptable, plus if you buy them from a store in your city, they should have a pretty close pH that you do. So that is something I and many others say to skip.
Oh and do what I do, go on Amazon and browse, you would be suprised on how some products are so much cheaper than in the stores. Some things though will be cheaper in store so it is a good idea to check both.

Last edited by kfryman; 01-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My parents were like this, so I randomly bought a 2.5gal (I'm guessing your getting a bigger one so it'd be more of a problem). I put in a java fern and anubias. I told them, I was going to have a planted tank and add some shrimp later. They were all "why you waste money?!"
One day, my dad was like "you should at least put a betta in there, that thing is boring" And he actually bought my fish, food and heater ^^ Won that round!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #10 
BettaMommy531rip

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
My parents were like this, so I randomly bought a 2.5gal (I'm guessing your getting a bigger one so it'd be more of a problem). I put in a java fern and anubias. I told them, I was going to have a planted tank and add some shrimp later. They were all "why you waste money?!"
One day, my dad was like "you should at least put a betta in there, that thing is boring" And he actually bought my fish, food and heater ^^ Won that round!
Great idea! Lucky for me hopefully it will never have to come to that. I'm planning on getting 3 more bettas. I will get at least one off aquabid and I have to make a aquabid account for that, and we all know when you have an aquabid you can go betta wild, and find your self immersed in bettas broke. LOL.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote