Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #11 
kesomon

Sneaky Olympia is Sneaky. Yeah, I was originally planning for a 2.5, but decided to goal for at least a 5 gal, as its easier to cycle.

And balancers were pretty low on my list, but they do have expiration dates, so I lumped them in with the other expirable products. I actually did get my water tested at Petco, from four different sources, just for the hell of it. Oddly, the test from the tap-water-through-britta-filter matched the water-from-the-outside-hose. I dunno whether to be amused or horrified at what I might be drinking.
kesomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #12 
elijahfeathers

My mom's not terribly keen on my fish stuff, and was very unsupportive when I went from having a fish in a little bowl to having a 10g.

Honestly the 10g is nice, but I actually prefer my little 5g. it's so pretty, and I'm better at decortaing teeny places.

Anyway, if it's your money you get somehow, they can't stop you! I don't know ho wold you are, but even if you don't have steady employment... well, food may expire, but it takes a while and is pretty cheap. Prime will last you ages for a 5g for under 10 bucks too. Try walking a couple dogs or babysitting, you'll have enough for your finned friend in no time. ;)
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, after you get everything, if I were you at least, I'd just get the fish. The worst part is if you'd fail to take care of it and your parents would be all HAHAH SEE?! Which you wouldn't have to deal with because, you're taking care of it, it's in your space, even a filter, water, and light adds like nothing to your electricity and hydro bills. It basically doesn't affect them.

My worst thing with my parents is that they say I change water too much. So I always do water changes when they're not home :p

If you don't already, just start offering to do more stuff around the house, clean it, whatever, be responsible. The whole "little angel because I want something" act. Used to work great for me, not so much after my parents started seeing through it -__-
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #14 
kesomon

Not sure how well I could pull off the innocent angel routine at 25, lmao. I've decided I'm going to keep hoarding what I can, but will wait to bring up the issue after all the house construction is done. Which will take a while, but is probably wise. I wouldn't want to have to deal with cleaning a tank while the bathrooms are in a state of disrepair, or have to drain and dismantle a tank when the renovations reach my room and stress my fish out. This way, I can put my room back together in a better configuration and leave space somewhere to put a 5gal.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #15 
BettaMommy531rip

Don't you think cycling a whole tank would be hard to do behind your parents' backs? Also... erm... I just want to say... ahem... don't get your heart set on "Ram." I have done that countless times on AquaBid or in pet stores. Plus you say it will take forever to get the renovation done and that you won't broach the subject until renovation is over. Soooo... erm... Ram might be gone by then, and I see your avatar is him, and you talk of him all the time. It will make it really hard if you go one day and find hom sick and dying or if he was bought by someone else. I'm just warning you. Sorry to be the party-pooper, I just don't want anyone to get upset.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

BettaMommy has a point also. :/
You're prolly gonna have to move on. If you were getting him soon, you could prolly hide him in the back, but you have to wait quite a while, so not a good idea.
Also for now keso is just hoarding, their parents are obviously going to find out when the tank gets set up :p
I wish you the best of luck though, yay for fighting the power!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #17 
kesomon

Oh I'm a very realistic person, no worries. I'm past the depressed 'woe, cannot has fishy' stage, and into the 'yeah, it'd be great if he was still there, but if he's gone when I get my act together, then I'm happy he has a good home.' And I plant my tank with marimo balls until I see a betta who captures my attention as quick as Ram did.

I'll still keep my avatar though, cuz I like that pic.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #18 
Wolfboy51

you could store some of the stuff in a box that way it would seem less messy to your parents and it might not take up as much room. Or you could put everything in the tank then in the box.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #19 
dew

I remember when I was trying to convince my mom to let me have a betta. And like most people, it wasn't because I was not responsible. It's just because she doesnt like animals. Mind you, I was 16 and could pay for everything myself. But nooooooo! She thought I was going to have some big water accident. She ready got rid of pearl(dog) which is another very sad story for another time.anywho,keep trying! Even when my mom said no, I still bought some supplies, I even snuck in a 5 gallon. Good luck!
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #20 
kesomon

I've got what I have so far in a storage container in my closet.

hahah, power to yah Dew. I remember back in grade school, we'd just learned how to write a persuasive argument (y'know, "intro, thesis, paragraphs 1-2-3 of arguement, conclusion") and I wrote a whole paper on the reasons why I needed a budgie. It didn't work, but I'm amazed I did it voluntarily at that age.