Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 
CraneSong

Unfortunate Circumstances

Hi, new, first time betta owner here. And by new, I mean two days ago.

Basically, what had happened is that my roommate decided that we needed a fish. I didn't want anything to do with it (because, as many know, college students make pro pet owners) but when she and our neighbor brought Rakesh home and were about to dunk him into cold tap water, and he started flipping the heck out, I had to step in.

So I've been playing fish doctor for the past two days. He's doing TONS better than he was (he would spaz out and then float to the top, then spaz out again) but he's definitely not the happiest fish I've seen. They managed to remember to buy food, which is always a good thing, but they didn't get any dechlorinating drops. My roommate claims that she had kept her betta fish of three years in tap water his whole life, but with how Rakesh reacted I somehow doubt it. Over the first night (we finally got him out at around 9:00pm) he stayed in the cup that he came in from Petsmart that we filled with bottled drinking water. I know that isn't the best, but he started swimming again and seemed to recover splendidly.

The next day I moved him back to his 1-gallon tank (after cleaning off the tank, rocks, and plants), which I filled with distilled water. I know that's a red flag, too, that just went up in all of your heads- I know now, after buying two gallons of it, that distilled water is horrible for fish. But given that the choice is between tap water and distilled water, I'm pretty sure the latter is better for the moment.

I've been trying to get back to Petsmart to get dechlorinating drops since supposedly tap water+drops is better, but me lacking a car and the closest bus stop being about a twenty minute walk away, I haven't been able to get out there. I also wish that I could get him a properly heated tank, a good filter, and all the necessities of actually good fish owners, but I'm currently on a strict college-freshman budget. I'm trying to see how well I can do without digging too deep into my pockets to save a fish who, as much of a jerk as I am to say it, isn't even mine.

So to get to the point:

I need help. Desperately. I've been cramming on taking care of betta fish between classes, trying to figure out what we're doing wrong and how to fix it. Rakesh's a red veil (I'm guessing, from the posts on here), and he's been sitting on my desk for awhile now. He's watched me (so I'm guessing he's responsive) and he's flared once or twice. However, I've also noticed some white, almost iridescent looking spots on his face and what looks like faint stripes along his sides. He's also eaten I think a total of two pellets since we've gotten him (Top Fin, Color Enhancing Betta Bits). Rakesh has been swimming around the tank, hiding under the plants a bit, and basically investigating since I put him in. His fins have uncurled since he got into the drinking water, and more when in the distilled water, and he looks much brighter than before.

What are the necessities that I most definitely need to get? Like I said, I wish I could spoil him rotten, but from what he has right now it looks a bit better than what he had at the store. Our rooms are, beyond our control, at about 80 all day, so though I haven't taken the temperature of it, I'd say the water is about 70-75 degrees. His fins are a bit ratty, but I'm pretty sure that Rakesh looked like that already when he came here.

Here are some pictures. Unfortunately the lighting at the moment isn't the best, but I did my best.
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7060/img01621.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8310/img01561.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7017/img01601.jpg

Thank you so much, all of you, for your help. Or at least reading. And I'm sorry that I let the two of them purchase this poor thing without thinking it through.
CraneSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I do recommend a 2.5, which is easier to clean. doubt your roomie will clean a one gallon twice a week, as needed. a small heater to at least keep it above room temperature is a good thing especially if you don't control the heat in the room :3
The spots on his face can be 1 of 2 things: marbling, or ammonia burn/scars. faint stripes, usually is a good sign of stress. As soon as you can to aovoid problems with distilled, get him tap water conditioner :)

so list
1. 2.5 tank (optional right now)
2. heater (prefered, but not good for 1 gallons usually)
3. tap water conditioner (a MUST)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
CraneSong

Thank you so much for the reply.

Yeah, somehow I feel that I will be left with the tank cleaning as well. But I forgive the little guy- he's growing on me. I do kind of have a question about cleaning, too. I read that at minimum, it should be a 25% water change per week, and then a full blown cleaning once a month. Or is that just for larger tanks, with filter systems? And do dechlorinators get rid of chloramimes, or would I have to get a separate formula for that?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I think they should get rid of chloramimes - usually check the back of the conditioner. I have never had any trouble with conditioners :)
Depending on the tank... my 1 gallons (if NOT overfed remember)get cleaned once every 2-3 days 80-100%. For 2.5, twice a week 40% usually works, or once a week 50% because it is not cycled.
For a cycled tank (more stable in 5+ gallons) 25% a week is usua;
Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 
revolutionrocknroll

Yeah, definitely get conditioner and a heater to raise the temperature to 76-80 degrees. You are doing the right thing taking care of a fish that's not yours. I admire you for that. I'm a freshman in college, and I know the conditions that a lot of the fish are kept in are horrendous :(
The conditioner that I use is Seachem Prime, and it gets rid of chlorine and chloramines. I'm pretty sure it also gets rid of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, but I don't have it with me, so I couldn't tell you for sure.
If you're going to stick with the 1 gallon, you have to do 100% water changes, and I personally don't have a 1 gallon, but I think that changing the water 3 times a week is the minimum? But you should probably wait for someone else who has experience with 1 gallons to reply.
Good luck with Rakesh and I'm sorry that you have to deal with your roommate's ignorance.

Edit: Sena replied before I posted. Listen to her.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 
CraneSong

Thank you very much to both of you, I really really appreciate it. I'll do my best to get my hands on some dechlorinator, I'll try to get out there tomorrow or early in the week, if it stops raining. Otherwise I'll change out the water for the rest of the distilled, then get some drinking water gallon bottles. I hear those are supposed to be better than distilled, but obviously you all know better than me.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Hi, I would get a heater if you have a walmart near bye that sells fish stuff you can get one that heats a one gallon for $15. also conditioner is a must you can get that cheap at walmart to. And for cleaning I do two 25% and 1 100% each week with no problems. As long as you keep it clean it shouldn't be an issue. (I have a 1g that I keep a fish in permanently)
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

That cleaning is actually pretty good as you are breaking it up into 3 I have to keep Dally in his 1 gallon bowl because he seems to dislike larger awesomer tanks -.-
Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 
CraneSong

Oh, gah, right! Walmart has a fish area-I was so focused on trying to get to Petsmart I forgot. There's a bus that goes right up there, I'll hop on once it starts running again. Thank you all so much. I'll clean out his water tomorrow, and then grab some conditioner and a heater on Tuesday, if everything goes well with my schedule.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

awesome!! :) kind of sucks you're spending money and caring for your roomie's fish o_O lol but hey better than watching him suffer and die.