Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 
morla

Feeding Bettas

Hi! Is it a good idea to feed 2 grown male bettas once a day at night?
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I think it depends on how much you feed them. The consensus here is that it is better to feed smaller amounts twice a day than to give them one huge meal. I feed my guys 2 pellets, twice daily. Some days I will substitute freeze-dried bloodworms for a meal.

As for the time of day, it doesn't really matter as long as his light is on. Bettas are sight-predators and hunt with their eyes. Also it is bad to turn the light on and then immediately feed your fish because they don't have irises like we do. They take a lot longer to adjust to light than our eyes do.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3 
morla

Ok! Thank-you!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

That can be got around a couple of ways, though. First, make sure the room is already light before turning your light on. For instance, I open my blinds, then turn the tank light on, so the girls adjust quickly. Secondly, floating plants dim the overhead lights for them. :)
If I didn't feed the girls as soon as I turned the light on, they'd jump out and attack me. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I think it depends on how much you feed them. The consensus here is that it is better to feed smaller amounts twice a day than to give them one huge meal. I feed my guys 2 pellets, twice daily. Some days I will substitute freeze-dried bloodworms for a meal.

As for the time of day, it doesn't really matter as long as his light is on. Bettas are sight-predators and hunt with their eyes. Also it is bad to turn the light on and then immediately feed your fish because they don't have irises like we do. They take a lot longer to adjust to light than our eyes do.

Good to know
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Bombalurina made a good point. It's always best to have ambient light in the room before turning on your fish's light. Going from dark to bright lights causes bettas stress. Some fish are known to dart about wildly when this happens. This can injure them. And floating plants are always a good idea. Very few fish live where the sun is directly shining on them all day. Would you rather stand in the sun all day or have some shade?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 
morla

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
morla

I fed Amor pellets and he spit them out. I learned that he was just trying to make them softer and that its totally normal but its Twilight that im worried about. When I put pellets on the surface of the water, he doesn't see them because he is at the bottom of the bowl. Then they float down and he goes after them until they hit the ground. How can I get Twilight to eat?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 
HermitGuy101

Mine is in the "Teen" age range of fish, and he gets fed twice a day usually. 3 pellets in the morning and some flakes in the evening. It keeps him very frisky! Plus, feeding him around 7 am (When I get up for Basket Ball practice) gives him that extra wake up jump. I have a feeding section on my website: http://sites.google.com/site/bettabuds/food
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
I fed Amor pellets and he spit them out. I learned that he was just trying to make them softer and that its totally normal but its Twilight that im worried about. When I put pellets on the surface of the water, he doesn't see them because he is at the bottom of the bowl. Then they float down and he goes after them until they hit the ground. How can I get Twilight to eat?
I always make sure my fish see my fingers before I drop the food in. Try to entice him to the surface before you drop his food in. Also, you need to make sure that you take any uneaten food from his bowl or else it will rot and foul the water.