Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 
MMad1121

I'm worried...

I go to college in Chicago. Last night me and a roomie went to a petco to see animals and of course, we stopped to look at the bettas. I couldn't believe the variety compared to my petcos at home! But what bothers me is that the better fish they get, the better they sell...increase in demand...more fish being bred for profit...who knows what kind of lives they live. I worry because of the lack of knowledge of the employees. There was a lady buying a betta while we were there who wanted to buy a big tank and they were trying to turn her on to a tiny "betta" cube. After the employee walked away, I told the woman she was right to get the larger tank!

Then I asked to see a fancy rat, and the employee was like well I'll get one out for you, but if I get bit I have to go to the hospital. I told her rats typically don't bite and she said ours have! She said I'm aenemic (pardon spelling). I said do you want me to get him out then? I have experience with rats. No, she said, we aren't allowed to let you. So she tries getting him out...obviously nervous and scared of the baby rat...finally she's like ok if you can get him out go ahead...and I did, no problem. She thought for sure I was going to get bit.

What happened to people at pet shops being knowledgable and caring about animal welfare?
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
Banicks

The majority of the time it's just a job to them.

Kind of like the kid grilling burgers at McDonalds, ultimately he doesn't want to become a chef. It's just a paying job.

Also, you'll get people who love animals, certain animals. But not all animals. So they're a complete expert in say, dogs, but ask them about Betta fish and they don't know much at all.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

It upsets me a lot. I don't think petshops ought to employ casual teenage workers where they can possibly help it unless that teenager proves that they have a decent knowledge of at least one sort of animal in that shop, then put them to work in that section and nowhere else.
It's very sad to hear about the rats, Mmad. It usually takes a lot of neglect and then bad handling to make a rat bitey. My rats have never bitten me, even when I'm bathing them, medicating them, holding them whilst a vet sticks a thermometer up their bottoms...sadface.

One day, when I win the lottery, I'm going to start a petshop to put all of the other chains out of business, with actual experts in every section, mandatory refresher courses so everyone knows what they are talking about, ethical breeding and directing customers to rescue rather than buy from me, if they can.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 
MMad1121

I guess the shops just think fish are fish and rats are rats. I'd kill to have a job at petco or petsmart where I could take care of those animals and provide mich better knowledge than their current employees. I've had all kinds of animals: dogs, rabbits, rats, chameleons, hermit crabs, and now bettas.

I want to work there so bad and I'm way more qualified than probably 3/4 of their staff at least...yet they aren't hiring :(
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I actually just applied to a job at Petsmart because I have a passion for animals and need a bit of income until I can get a real job. They didn't ask me a SINGLE question about my knowledge of fish/reptiles/small mammals/cats/dogs/anything really. The only thing they asked about animals was had I owned a pet in the past 6 months. They did ask if I knew/had practiced selling techniques and how I get along with people.

I've encountered people at Petsmart who obviously thought they knew about fish, but I could tell they didn't. They might have been the most knowledgeable person there, but the biggest turd in a pile of turds is still a turd.

Anyway, I'm hoping if I get the job I'll be able to educate people on proper fish care.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I'll be asking the manager of this self run store here if I can be a part time employee. He knows I love learning about ALL animals :3 plus being a customer there, I've had people ask ME about certain fish, how many are needed, how big of a tank, the upkeep, etc. If I know, I'll answer if I don't I'll be honest and tell them I am not sure, and get the manager who knows.

Like Banicks said, to most people "it's a job" nothing else. I know the employee here, prefers cats and dogs. As for me, just because I prefer fish doesn't mean I'll neglect everything else - I'd rather get the whole job done and not stand there texting my boyfriend
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 
Banicks

Let's be honest he as well, some people just aren't smart enough to understand the science and logic behind fish keeping. For most, fish are deemed to be the easiest and cheapest pet to have, how wrong they are.

Once the correct setup is purchased, which can be quite an expensive outlay and cycling is done it does become relatively easy. But still ongoing costs and occurrences can cause a fish to be a difficult thing to look after.

Compared to dogs and cats which are relatively easy to care for, it's easy to understand why the general population enjoy the fluffy things and most employees or pet stores would know more about them. They're really not the hardest thing to look after.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 
morla

It makes me so mad when people at petco and petsmart are like that!
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Let's be honest he as well, some people just aren't smart enough to understand the science and logic behind fish keeping. For most, fish are deemed to be the easiest and cheapest pet to have, how wrong they are.

Once the correct setup is purchased, which can be quite an expensive outlay and cycling is done it does become relatively easy. But still ongoing costs and occurrences can cause a fish to be a difficult thing to look after.

Compared to dogs and cats which are relatively easy to care for, it's easy to understand why the general population enjoy the fluffy things and most employees or pet stores would know more about them. They're really not the hardest thing to look after.
You're right. Most people don't care/can learn the science behind it all. I have seen master's thesis written on some of the same principles that we use in fishkeeping. I can talk the ears off of people when they say that "it's just a fish." No. It's a mini biome in which I can show you numerous biological and chemical principles. There is a lot of science behind what we do. Once I explain that to someone and they understand my love of science, they begin to understand why I love fish so much.

However, I have to disagree with you that the fluffy things are easier. On a day-to-day basis my dogs and cats require more time than my fish do. Dogs need to be walked/played with to prevent destructive behaviour. Litter boxes need to be scooped. Let them in; let them out. I just have to feed and look at my fish. And even on a weekly basis, my furries require more work. One water change, once a week is just about 2 hours (for all of my tanks) whereas I spend at least 5 hours a week just walking my dogs. Now when you are setting up a tank, it does take more daily work, but if you have a healthy, established tank, fish are the easiest pets to have.

I think the reason people prefer the fluffy things to fish (and therefor know more about them) is that loving look your dog will give you when you come home or the purr of a cat as it snuggles up against you. This makes people feel connected with these animals. You can't do those kinds of things with fish. The most you can do is hand-feed. Fish won't bring you the ball when they want to play or give you a woof/meow when they are hungry. Fish are just too different from us for most people to connect with. And if they don't connect with something, they aren't going to care enough to do proper research.

Bottom line: pets in any form aren't easy. They all require a level of care. Some require more in the beginning and some require constant over a lifetime. A pet (be it fur, fins, or scales) is a commitment, and I think this is what most people fail to grasp.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 
Banicks

Behaviour is certainly the work side of things for fluffy related animals. But I find that challenging and the walks are part and parcel of the routine! I can see the fluffys would require more hours of care.

I think what I was trying to express was in situations of disease or weird behaviour, fluffy are relatively easier to care for with dog courses and vets having greater knowledge.

I know of no fish vets!