Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What betta should I start with?
Dragonscale 1 20.00%
Crowntail 0 0%
Halfmoon 4 80.00%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #1 
optimusprimesgurl

Red face Begining Spawner

Hi there! I've had an interest in bettas for a while now and I've decided I like to start breeding them, but I want to make sure I have everything I need to be successful. Currently I have a 5 gallon tank I used to keep my betta in, a 2.5 gallon I inherited from my sister, and an empty 10 gallon from a while back. I'm pretty unsure about how to start everything.

Some questions I have are:
  • What supplies will be needed?
  • Are there any special tank preparations I should have?
  • How many bettas should I have? 1 male and 1 female, or more females?
  • What tanks should those bettas go in?
  • How should I introduce the two mating partners and how long will it approximately take?
  • And what type of betta you would recommend starting with and where should I purchase it?
  • How much money should I have before starting this?
  • And anything else you would recommend.

Another thing is since I can't have all those bettas forever, how would you reccomend finding a place to sell the remaining ones that don't have homes.

Thanks everyone! I know I'm kinda young for this sorta thing, but I am determined and do care a lot about fishies. :3
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #2 
Kelly0727

What supplies will be needed?:

For supplies pretty much what is in this video explains it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUqYf5fThk

That is only for the tank set up though. You will also need food to condition your bettas, lots of people use bloodworms and pellets. I believe there could be other things as well but they would have to tell you since that is the only ones I know for that.

You will also need a brine shrimp hatchery for the baby brine shrimp when it comes time to feeding the fry. I have gone by what this video says and It hasent failed me yet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

Other things to use for the fry are micro worms but you would most likly have to buy the culture for that. If you dont want to do that you can always go with the egg yolk although it can be extreamly messy at times.

Are there any special tank preparations I should have?:

Pretty much what the tank setup video says. Although I would recormend more plants than that. I have heard from other breeders that it helps the female a lot more if there are more plants.

How many bettas should I have? 1 male and 1 female, or more females?:

You only need one male and one female :)

What tanks should those bettas go in?

They should go into different tanks during the conditioning. What I am doing is keeping my male in the spawning tank during the conditioning, I feel he will claim the tank as his and get excited when he finds that a female is around. (It happened with a pair I have that wasnt meant to spawn and didnt.. I only have the girl floating in there for a half hour during tank cleaning and the male got super excited hehe) Others more expirenced may have a different opinion on that though.

How should I introduce the two mating partners and how long will it approximately take?

There is another video to explain this much better than I could lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_yO...eature=related

And what type of betta you would recommend starting with and where should I purchase it?

I would recremend a halfmoon or plaket since thoes are what I have been seeing most often being asked for. I have also noticed that a lot of people go for marble halfmoons but it all depends on what you like in bettas really. Theres hundreds of betta lovers out there, there will be some that love the same type of bettas as you :) The best place I've seen to get extra good quality bettas are on aquabid.com an afordable breeder that I have seen on this forum is chard56. Bettas on aquabid can get costly.. but he has decent prices for extreamly beautiful bettas and shipping is only 10 for poriorty so that isnt so bad compared to other prices I've seen.

How much money should I have before starting this?

Honestly, I would say as much as you can save up.. I have spent over 40 right now on my bettas and I'm still spending more! A heater for your tank alone can be around 20-30 depending on the quality you want. live plants I know cost me around 20 and I still need to get more for my tank. So that is 50 right there.. It isnt exactly a cheap hobby, a rewarding one yes but not cheap :) Now Unless you go with mostly fake plants and then have a couple live floating one's could save some money but you also have to remember food.. and conditioner for the water ect.. Like an actual aquarium.

And anything else you would recommend.

Pretty much just watch and ask questions from other breeders on here like I am doing.. get their opinions on how they are breeding their bettas and learn what you think would be best. Be EXTREAMLY paticent. Dont be afraid to ask questions.. because there is someone here that will be able to answer! :) Hope I was able to help a little. More expirence breeders could probably give more advice than I could.

Another thing is since I can't have all those bettas forever, how would you reccomend finding a place to sell the remaining ones that don't have homes.

You can try seeing if any local fish stores or pet stores will want them, or try to sell them on here and aquabid.com. Good luck!
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Kelly0727 gave you good answers but here's my input...

You'll find an answer to your questions here: http://www.flippersandfins.net/BettaBreedingArticle.htm

To properly prepapre for breeding, you're looking at $150-$300 depending on what you already have.

Yes, all you need is a pair of fish to breed but depending on what your future goals are you want to get a spare female (or even pair) in case your first choice fails.

I don't recomend using your spawning tank to house your male. Although there can be exclusion, He will most likely claim territory and react negatively when you introduce the female becoming too agressive.

You should start with the BEST betta pair you can afford. Why? Because you're spending so much money and effort in spawning and rearing these fish that you don't want to end up with hundreds of fish that would be impossible to rehome.

Lastly, remember that care of the betta doesn't end up in a growout tank. You need to be equiped with lots of container where you will place your bettas once they reach the age where they need to be kept separated. You also need to find a way to keep those containers heated as cold water will stunt the growth of the fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 
optimusprimesgurl

Thanks a bunch. Truth is as I look up more and more information, I grow a little more wary. It sounds awesome, just I don't have the time or money. So I'd like to do this in the future, so thank you! :)
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Breeding IS quite an undertaking and requires a lot of time and effort. If you're the kind of person who has a busy schedule then it would be best to wait until you have more time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 
tpocicat

There is a lot of work involved, if you can't do it all yourself, or get help with what needs to be done, maybe you should wait.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firsttime breeding spawns