Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
VikingPrincess

Female Bettas...

Is it common for female bettas to have longish fins?

I never ever seen a female betta with longish fins...I believe tonight I got a male labeled as a female. How common is that?

I will post pictures soon. I believe it is a young male,his (?) fins are not that long,but are longer then every female I have seen and also his color is faded (stress). I got him in hopes of bringing him around to his full potential. I am 99% sure it is a male...but I have doubts since he was labeled as a female. But pet stores are stupid anyway...so...

I also got a beautiful male crowntail tonight. Pics prolly tomorrow. I just wanna know how common it is to buy males labeled as females?
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

Don't believe labels! I got a plakat from walmart labeled female. He was a boy. Check his/her belly for a white spot. If there is a white spot (the egg spot) you have a female if no white spot you have a male. If its really young you may not be able to tell though.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 
VikingPrincess

Thank you. I will check.

I am pretty convinced he is a boy though,after looking at female betta pictures and the sticky of betta varieties here.

I know pet stores are generally dumb or misinformed or sometimes make mistakes though,so thats another reason I don't believe it is a female. I don't have any experience with female bettas though,so that is why I figured I would ask.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 
VikingPrincess

Going to check for white spot now!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 
Sprinkles

Here recently when I went into Petsmart, they had 3 males labeled as females. XD I haven't gone in enough to know how often that happens, but I don't doubt it does pretty frequently.
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 
VikingPrincess

So I think I have a female! Haha...she most def' does have a white spot and I looked up the ovipositor and thats what it looks like. I never seen a female with fins as long as hers though. They are not as long as a male,but they are longer then any female I saw.

I did get her at Petsmart too. I went to get another male and I saw this guy and seriously thought it was a male...I feel dumb. Haha. But like I said,I don't have any experience with females as I always just had males.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #7 
Sprinkles

Don't feel dumb! Everything is a learning process. And now you know what to look for. :) Congrats on your new additions! Think you'll keep the girl?

But seriously, when the people Petsmart is paying to tend to fish can't even distinguish, you should not feel bad. At all. Haha
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
Don't feel dumb! Everything is a learning process. And now you know what to look for. :) Congrats on your new additions! Think you'll keep the girl?

But seriously, when the people Petsmart is paying to tend to fish can't even distinguish, you should not feel bad. At all. Haha
Thanks. It is true,but I mean my sister was with me and she spends a lot more time on this forum then me and even she was convinced it was a male. Is there any variety of betta where the female has longish fins?

I will get pictures up tomorrow for sure.

Yes,I am going to keep her anyway. I don't like rehoming pets (even fish) without good reason. She is going to have a 10 gallon all to herself for now.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 
Sprinkles

I think any of the long finned varieties could possibly have females with longer finnage, it probably just depends on how individuals are breeding their fish. HM females seem to have longer fins than most others, though. Or from what I've seen anyway. I've seen some roundtail girls of a large size overall, and longer fins too.

Aw good, I'm glad you're keeping her! Look forward to seeing pictures. :)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

I can't wait to see what she looks like! Personally I love females they are so cute and have tons of personality!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote