Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #11 
Laki

Name her an old viking/Norse name to match Odin and Saxon :) Can't wait to see pics, I forget what your boy looks like :D (Bowser is settling well and exploring)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #12 
MandiceP

careful telling gender with just checking for the ovipositor tho... males can have them too sometimes. Usually the better ways to tell are by the gill flaps when they flare and the ventral fins on males are much longer than females. also the faces to me look different. Females have a "cuter" more "innocent" look and males look more manly... LOL I can't wait to see pics? can you post one or two?
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #13 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiceP View Post
careful telling gender with just checking for the ovipositor tho... males can have them too sometimes. Usually the better ways to tell are by the gill flaps when they flare and the ventral fins on males are much longer than females. also the faces to me look different. Females have a "cuter" more "innocent" look and males look more manly... LOL I can't wait to see pics? can you post one or two?
THANK YOU!
Lol, I hate it when people think you can just check by an eggspot.... all of my young males have them and Hercules (older male) has one... and I have had a few others with eggspots who were boys.... look for a beard.. thats the best way
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #14 
kfryman

A flare pic will tell.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #15 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
THANK YOU!
Lol, I hate it when people think you can just check by an eggspot.... all of my young males have them and Hercules (older male) has one... and I have had a few others with eggspots who were boys.... look for a beard.. thats the best way
Well I said it before...I am new to females. I have no experience with female bettas.

This one has not flared yet,so I cannot tell by that way regardless right now.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #16 
VikingPrincess

So her face does appear more 'delicate' compared to my males and the males I had in the past. I call males 'grumpy faces' and her face does not look so grumpy.

She does have a bit of a 'beard' though,but she won't flare. I did some more research on Google and learned that some females can have longer fins,though it is not common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Name her an old viking/Norse name to match Odin and Saxon :) Can't wait to see pics, I forget what your boy looks like :D (Bowser is settling well and exploring)
I plan on it. Just need to find the perfect name.

Aw,glad Bowser is settling. Mine are too. The female (I think) is a bit stressed,but I am sure she will be fine.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #17 
guardianfyre

Just to defend PetSmart and those of us employees who do know mostly how to do our jobs correctly... Because the improperly labeled males come into our inventory as female (they're sent to us that way from the breeders), we have to sell them as female. Changing them in the inventory counts as a loss against the individual store. Yeah, it's stupid. But it is how it is. I've had to sell several different types of fish under the wrong SKU.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #18 
Bambi

I've seen alot of longer finned females. Well..not ALOT but a decent number. When people are breeding for long/full fins(like in show HM lines) they can tend to throw a female who grows longer fins. Kinda like a hormonal imbalence? like human girls who have testosterone issues i think. Nothing that's bad for the fish really, not like it's going to grow a mustache or something....

lol..fishy moostach..
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #19 
purplemuffin

I have noticed a lot more long finned females lately. I think they are the spawn sisters from the extremely long finned halfmoon males... I mean come on..when the fins are twice as long as the body on these males, even the females are going to have longer fins.. :) hehe! But yes, pics!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #20 
Laki

@guardianfyre- thanks for clarifying!! It's good to know there's a reason behind it. Granted, there are still mis-labellings when they're put in the cups after receiving them I'm sure. But your explanation is clear :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote