Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
Moclam

Betta not Eating...

I currently have a betta who's ever so picky, and wont eat anything I give him...He's been like this for about 6 days, and I've had to move him to a QT one gallon tank due to a major tank leek in his other one, as well as a heater malfunction during the night. The QT tank I have him in has the only spare heater my friend could give me, which is an awful cheep one. The good one I got comes the 20th or the 21st. Is it the lack of heat that has him not wanting to eat? Is there anything I can do for him? Feedback would be lovely..
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #2 
eaglescout434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moclam View Post
I currently have a betta who's ever so picky, and wont eat anything I give him...He's been like this for about 6 days, and I've had to move him to a QT one gallon tank due to a major tank leek in his other one, as well as a heater malfunction during the night. The QT tank I have him in has the only spare heater my friend could give me, which is an awful cheep one. The good one I got comes the 20th or the 21st. Is it the lack of heat that has him not wanting to eat? Is there anything I can do for him? Feedback would be lovely..
It could possibly be stress. Have you tried feeding him different kinds of food like flakes, then pellets, ect...?
eaglescout434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #3 
Moclam

Yes I have..I've given him two different kinds of pellets, and a few different flakes. He still wont eat sadly. He's rather thin.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 
eaglescout434

Quote:
Yes I have..I've given him two different kinds of pellets, and a few different flakes. He still wont eat sadly. He's rather thin.
How long have you had him? And has he ever done this before?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #5 
Moclam

I've had him for about a week. The first day I got him he was fine, however he did keep spitting out his food. I thought he might just eat it later, but then I found the left pellets. Tried crushing them as well. He still spat them out.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 
callistra

How often does he poop and what does it look like?

He could just be a picky eater and very stressed out and pet store bettas tend to be malnourished, but what you are describing -could- be internal infection.. would not jump to this unless the poop is abnormal or you see other signs like sunken/bloated belly..

Bettas can go a very long time without food so I wouldn't be too worried at this point. Just let us know about the poop and once he gets in a stable environment for a few days that might help too.

BTW the water in your area is pretty bad. How are you treating it? Have you checked the ph? Normally not an issue but I just happen to know water in your area has been known to have really high ph above 9.0 even.. (I'm also in KS). I suggest testing it and making sure the ph is an acceptable level. Also highly suggest aging the water a good 48 hours before making changes as ph can also be unstable and change a lot from tap to set out. And how often are you changing the water? It's not a good idea to leave uneaten food in the water. Ammonia will build up quickly, especially in a bowl of that size.

Last edited by callistra; 01-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 
Moclam

@callistra
That's the thing, he hasn't pooped. At all.

That's what I thought. I'm hoping It's nothing internal, however there isn't any way to know currently. What do you mean by "sunken belly"? Never heard that term before.

I'm treating it with just normal conditioner, but I do use store bought water currently, because I have a lot on hand, and I drink it because our water makes me sick. The Ph level is fine, I don't have a tester myself, but I took a sample to my friend who has one, and she said it's all good aparently. I'm changing the water every three days, and taking out whatever uneaten food I can with the net.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 
eaglescout434

Quote:
@callistra
That's the thing, he hasn't pooped. At all.

That's what I thought. I'm hoping It's nothing internal, however there isn't any way to know currently. What do you mean by "sunken belly"? Never heard that term before.

I'm treating it with just normal conditioner, but I do use store bought water currently, because I have a lot on hand, and I drink it because our water makes me sick. The Ph level is fine, I don't have a tester myself, but I took a sample to my friend who has one, and she said it's all good aparently. I'm changing the water every three days, and taking out whatever uneaten food I can with the net.
what kind of water are you putting in the tank? spring, distilled,ect...?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 
Moclam

@EagleScout
I use spring water, currently.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #10 
eaglescout434

Have you tried leaving her in your treated tap water before? bettas can adapt somewhat to the ph levels. The problem with not using tap water is that they remove all of the natural minerals. I would suggest slowly trying to introduce him back to tap water. not all at once bc the sudden ph change could shock him but if you do it over about a week it might work out. just try mixing in a little tap water/w conditioner and your spring water over the next few days and i think that he could perk up!!