Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Arrow So Stoked!

I have been begging my mom to take me to the pet store to buy my new little friend. So... I begged and begged and begged, until today when she finally got so mad at me asking that she gave in! I am so excited and I really don't know what type of betta I should get and I still have no idea on what I'm going to keep he or her in. I know I definately want to keep it in a large bowl with a heater or a smaller tank with a heater. I've heard that with bettas you dont need a filter so... I am not going to buy one. Should I have stones or pebbles? I think I have a few extra big pebbles from my frog tank, but I'm not sure I want to use his old gross rocks in the tank of my new little one... Many people have asked me what my "dream betta" would be and I have been really thinking HARD! I guess it would be either a purple, blue and white halfmoon plakat male or a red and white feather betta. I have always been drawn over to those types first. So anyway, I still kinda need guidence through this EXCITING time.
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #2 
BettaMommy531rip

Petstores usually have veiltails/crowntails. Some stores have good ones like plakats, but if you want something like a feather tail you'd have to go to a breeder. Feathertails can also have bad genetics and underlying issues. As for the tank, the minimum size is 2/2.5 gallons, a bowl doesn't usually cut it, unless you are doing twice a week water changes. I recommend this:
http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...TanksAquariums
It's cheaper than the other Aqueon 2.5 gallons because it comes as a kit. Take out the divider and the filter, and you have a perfect betta home. Make sure to ask what food the petstore has been feeding your betta so you know what to feed it, so you don't upset it's tummy. Before you get your betta, get your tank set up. Have water with declorinator in it that has been sitting in the area you plan to keep your betta so that it is relatively the same temp. as the tank. I reccomend just getting gravel for your betta's tank. When you get your betta please post pictures so that we can make sure that your little guy/gal is all healthy. Good luck! :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Setting up a tank and choosing the perfect betta is the most exciting bit. :) I wish I was in your shoes...again!

You may have an idea of what sort of betta you want, but be warned - falling in love with bettas is an unpredictable process. When my first girl Aphrodite died, I went into the petshop set on a gorgeous white delta I'd wanted for ages , and came out with a grumpy, sassy, bossy little blue girl who absolutely captured my heart. Go with the one you fall in love with, and even if they are the ugliest, scrappiest little thing you've ever seen, you won't regret it.

The tank that BettaMommy suggested does look good, as long as you follow her advice and only keep one betta in there.

There are a few different substrate options. Gravel is very easy to keep clean and rinse during water changes, so I'd suggest that over sand (sand can look amazing, but personally I think it's a pain to clean, and you need to do 100% water changes on a tank that small...sand would be a nightmare).

When it comes to decor, make sure you look out for a few things:
- don't get anything with a rough surface
- don't get anything with an exposed wire
- no sharp edges
Silk plants or, even better, live ones, are great for betta tanks. I've always preferred live, and plants like java fern, anubias or java moss are just as easy to care for as silk, IMHO. Basically, stick them in the tank and they grow. They also help consume nitrates. :) Anubias is great as bettas love resting on the broad leaves. You don't plant it - you just tie it to something, and it roots on. A small piece of driftwood, or, better yet, a small terracotta pot, would be perfect, and a pot would also double as a cave. Many bettas love having caves to hide in and explore. :)

Good luck with your new betta, and pictures pictures pictures!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote