Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

Planted Aquarium Help!

ok im gonna show you guys an example of what i wanna do but i dont know how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk1_N...el_video_title

how do u get grass like that ? i dont understand dose it grow all around ur tank after planting a little bit or dose it come in a carpet style were i just lay it down all over the tank?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #2 
MarcusTheGreat

ok so i found out its called Hemianthus callitrichoides were do i buy this?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #3 
MarcusTheGreat

this guy dose it im guessing its a process that takes time u plant some hear and there and it starts spreading

1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIYB_...eature=related
2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pb5v...eature=related
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #4 
MarcusTheGreat

lmfao i know im talking to my self but tryin to put out as much info so u guys can help me out this guy dose it like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRJdzddEGk

so do i just put peaces all over the tank spread out like he did it and it will eventually start growing and forming a carpet?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I believe HC is pretty hard to grow. You generally need a very rich substrate (such as aquasoil), CO2 and high lighting to get it to carpet like that.

It can take quite a while for it to carpet like that, which is why most people use the dry-start method where it is grown emersed (out of water).
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #6 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I believe HC is pretty hard to grow. You generally need a very rich substrate (such as aquasoil), CO2 and high lighting to get it to carpet like that.

It can take quite a while for it to carpet like that, which is why most people use the dry-start method where it is grown emersed (out of water).
what do you mean the dry start method? can u explain more please
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Well basically, it's where you have the tank full enough that only the substrate is damp/wet and plant out your HC or whatever plant you are using. You use cling wrap or a cover over the top to keep in the humidity and then you can spritz the plants with water and ferts whenever you think they need it.

Once your plants have established themselves, you then flood/fill the tank and if your conditions are right, there should be a period of minimal adjustment from emersed to submersed and you have (hopefully) a lush carpet of HC.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #8 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well basically, it's where you have the tank full enough that only the substrate is damp/wet and plant out your HC or whatever plant you are using. You use cling wrap or a cover over the top to keep in the humidity and then you can spritz the plants with water and ferts whenever you think they need it.

Once your plants have established themselves, you then flood/fill the tank and if your conditions are right, there should be a period of minimal adjustment from emersed to submersed and you have (hopefully) a lush carpet of HC.
ok what about java moss is it easier to grow because the HC sounds really difficult lol
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #9 
purplemuffin

Java moss is easy. There are a couple easy varieties of mosses. You could make a moss carpet I bet! It would look different, but still nice I'm sure! I do nothing with mine and it just grows in a clump on a log just fine. I want to make a moss wall in the future!

In fact:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...IaaC2AW-oOCECg

Google search for java moss carpet!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #10 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Java moss is easy. There are a couple easy varieties of mosses. You could make a moss carpet I bet! It would look different, but still nice I'm sure! I do nothing with mine and it just grows in a clump on a log just fine. I want to make a moss wall in the future!

In fact:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...IaaC2AW-oOCECg

Google search for java moss carpet!
do i have to feed it any special nutrients or dose it just grow without any help?