Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Spiky ends on his fins? Are you sure you didn't get a crowntail betta?

His wiggles sound absolutely adorable. He's surprisingly social and friendly for a guy who bites. :D Mine, alas, seem to prefer the "feed me" wiggle to any other kind.

How funny that he fights his reflection but he doesn't flare. It's like he's shadow boxing. But that's good because if he stays active and occupied, he's less likely to develop bad habits like tailbiting.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #12 
Enkil

I'm fairly certain. >> I mean... His fins are flowing but have spikey ends. I'll try to get some new pictures of him today.Hopefully he'll cooperate with me today. It doesn't look as though there is anything wrong with his fins, they just grow in this way. All of his new growth comes in this way.

I'm pretty surprised by how social and friendly he is too. Sometimes makes me want to change his name... Then I remember how he bit me. XD He's gotten me a couple times during feeding. He hits pretty hard. I'll have to see if I can record his wiggles to share with you.

I sometimes sit back and watch him fight with his reflection. He does it quite a lot lately. Not to obsessive point though. It almost seems as though he does it to gain my attention. If I get over by his tank, he'll stop and look at me. Then wiggling commences.
----

Today, Hannibal is being pretty relaxed. He doesn't know that it is water change day. I'll be doing that here in a few minutes.

Ah! He's flaring right now as I tryp and I haven't a camera handy! Such a big flare too. He's very angry with Reflection Hannibal right now.
And as soon as I got that out, he stopped. I think he tired himself out there for a moment. He just has so much personality.

Now I am off to get things going. Have laundry to do, cleaning, an appointment at 3 (it's 11:32 right now), and have to pick up my medicine. Plus Hannibal's water change. Busy day.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #13 
Enkil

Water change complete and Hannibal is acting like a completely different fish. o_o
We did a 100% change as at seems his filter was mucking up his water. Hannibal has decided that he does not like this business of complete water changes. I don't blame him in the slightest. The water he was in during the change got terribly cold. It had me quite worried, but he didn't get the slightest lethargic...

He is now back in his now clean tank... And freaking out. o_O
I tested his water. Everything tested normally. Just like it did before. He is flaring everywhere at everything and nothing at all! This from the fish who would never flare just the other day! I don't know what to think about this big personality change. Not that his flaring is beautiful, because it is! I just worry.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Maybe Hannibal is just the tiniest bit psychotic, like his namesake? "Water changes? I'll show you water changes!" *flaaaare* Graaaagh! Who really knows what sets a betta off. I had one who flared at everything, even his own poo. o.O And then I had one who never flared once in his life. He was the most non-aggressive male betta I'd ever seen. It's truly hard to tell. But Hannibal sounds like such a ham! Of course, they always stop doing what they are doing when the camera appears. They know. Oh yes, they know.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #15 
Enkil

Hannibal does seem to be a bit psychotic, huh? He's quite the character really.
----

Well, dearest Hannibal has spent all night flaring. His tank has 4 different colored LED lights that have 12 settings... Devon put it on one that had all 4 of the lights on. Hannibal did not like that setting. He started flaring even more. O_O So I got it back on the one that only has the first light on. At night it makes his tank look like natural water lit by moonlight. He likes this setting.

Today... Well, the crazy little guy is still flaring. It comes in bursts now though. He'll be patrolling the surface and then swims down to about the middle to begin a flare session. Thankfully, he has no blow-outs as of right now. I am keeping a discreet eye on him. If he gets himself too worked up or injures himself, he will be floated for a short time as a "time-out" to hopefully calm himself.

After his water change yesterday, I set up his heater as a little cave since he likes things this way. I have seen him take a couple rests there since putting him back in his tank. He doesn't seem as interested in his fake plant, but he has wove himself through it once or twice. He's attacked his thermometer today as if to put it in its place. He's given it the evil eye once or twice since, but seems content that it understands the tank is his.

He ate like a piggy for his first feeding today, so I'm not as worried about my handsome combtail anymore.
Ah, yes, he is a Combtail, not the VT that I thought he was. I still think he's gorgeous. With his flowing, spiked blue and red fins with green shimmer.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 
Enkil

Went out for a few hours this afternoon (Yay me!). My friend and his son stopped in before we left to see Hannibal. To his credit, the little guy swam over without flaring and let them get a good look at him.

Now home and relaxing.
Well, I am at least. Dear Hannibal is still a bit of a flaring fool. His breaks are longer now though. Still no flaring injuries. Very thankful that all this flaring hasn't torn any fins. It seems he has a little bit more regrowth on his dorsal fin today. Being too active for me to tell 100%. He has new growth on his anal fin for sure. I'm glad that's coming in completely. That patch is now just trying to catch up with the rest of the fin. Making a lot of progress.
His dorsal fin just doesn't seem to want to come back in 100%. I don't mind. It gives him character really. Gives him this cute look to make you unsuspecting of him. Until the bite. XD

The trip out was a bit of a strain. Went to the mall so the two kids could play at the little play area. It's cold out. I don't do so well around people. My chest still hurts from all the little panic attacks. I did it though and I guess that's what matters.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #17 
Sakura8

*hugs* I understand how you feel with crowds. I have severe social anxiety and mild OCD so I don't do well around people either. I haven't been to a mall in over 8 years. Just seeing newsclips of shoppers on Black Friday makes me want to run and hide. But you can be proud of yourself because you MADE IT THROUGH. :) Hurray!

Maybe Hannibal has settled in and this is the new, active and feisty Hannibal? He sounds so funny attacking his thermometer. I'm glad his dorsal seems to be showing new growth. Sometimes the growth can start out fast and level out.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #18 
Enkil

We weren't at the mall too long. Thankfully. Not sure I could have lasted too long really. I have PTSD and anxiety brought on by it. I usually just stay in the house because leaving is just too hard. I think that is why I love bettas so very much. So colorful and vibrant without having to go outside to enjoy their company thoroughly.

I do like this new side of Hannibal. I'm hoping he settles a little more so he'll do his night dancing for me again. Last night he flared at Devon when he deemed him too close to the tank. CD Devon and I both laughed.

He's still flaring up some and general trying to intimidate whatever he deems a threat. So far, no damage because of this. Keeping an eye on his fins still, just in case. He doesn't seem to exhausting himself either, so that's good.

Good News!
Devon has consented to me getting new pretties! I've already picked out 2 new boys. Depending on what I find, I may very well start a sorority as well. If not, I'll wait a few months and then start a sorority. Maybe I'll breed my own pretties to share with others at some point. ^_^
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #19 
Enkil

So I woke up this morning and checked on Hannibal. My normal routine. Turned into a not so normal sight. I had to check several times to make sure the fact I'm exhausted from lack of sleep wasn't playing tricks on me. Sure enough. Hannibal has crafted a bubble nest! His first one since us bringing him home. Not just one though... Two! One is the size of a half dollar and is near/above his thermometer. The other is at the back of his tank (closest side to the bed). This one is smaller and spread out. Right now, he's guarding the larger one. I think that his new wiggle may have been an indicator that this was coming. The poor guy is all ready with no girlfriend. Unfortunately for him... I do not plan on breeding him. As lovely as he is, I bought him from a store and so I wouldn't use him if I do decide to breed.

A new development... Hannibal is giving me the "come hither" wiggle. o_O I knew that he has some issues, but I had no idea that he was so very confused. XD The poor guy. Hopefully he gets over his confusion.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #20 
Sakura8

I've gotten better at leaving the house, mainly because of my fish. I'm willing to go to pet stores or even Wal-Mart for their sake. But for me, if I can buy it online, I will. :P

Hurray for the bubblenests, Hannibal! Very well done. :) But uh, Hannibal, about the girl you've chosen . . . well, for one thing . . . I think she's already taken. And then there's this little thing called "species compatibility." XD So sweet though, Hannibal has a crush on you, Enkil. :)