Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #191 
Enkil

Update

Gwynfor seems to be doing well in his 5 gal. Settling in much better than he was doing in his temporary housing. He moves very elegantly, I've noticed. Never before have I seen a fish move with such grace.

The girls are loving their new water wisteria that I added to their tank. It's floating so they weave about in it to get to resting spots. Freydis especially is enjoying it. I think it may become her sleeping place.

Added a small anubias plant to Egil's section of the boys' 10 gal and another small one to Odin's. I'm hoping this helps with whatever issue was going on with their tank. They both seem happier, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Odin doesn't seem to be getting any more of an issue with his sight. This makes me happy. I had worried that the dragon scaling would completely blind him, but the progression has definitely stopped. He eats well now that he's gotten used to his new food. Once in a while, one of the smaller pellets will make it to his section. Sometimes he manages to find and eat the ones that do. This further shows me that he can see, just not as well as the other two boys.

Hannibal is doing well. He had a flaring day today. He has these every so often. He just swims about his tank flaring. I think he's trying to show off, get more of my attention. So I make a little fuss over him, go to the tank and watch him for a bit. He looks fantastic.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #192 
tpocicat

Glad to hear Hannibal is still doing well. All your bettas seem to be doing very well.
I have a beautiful red dragon male I was going to breed, but like your dragon he has a scale issue with one of his eyes, not blind, can see very well, but not good to pass onto his fry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #193 
Enkil

Actually, I asked about that and was told that it is not an actual trait that gets passed on to the offspring. I had worried about it as well since I want to use Odin for breeding. Was told that so long as he can see the female, it would be fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #194 
Shirleythebetta

What would you call a black dragon with orange/brown fins I wonder....
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #195 
Enkil

A bi-color maybe? I'm not sure. It sounds like it would be pretty though.

Right now, a bit low on funds. Have to put off breeding until next month. Fenris chewed on and ate some bark chips/a stick. Threw some of it up, but taking him to the vet. Not taking any chances that something is going to go wrong. Thought they cleaned up the yard better after taking down the tree the other day. Guess not.

Anyway, have my heart set on buying a couple pretties from a breeder on here. Possibly one of their marbles. They are very pretty.

Gwynfor has picked a resting spot. He's so cute. I love watching him. He still hasn't figured out that the food comes from me though. XD

The girls are doing splendidly. I think I'll be happier after getting a couple more in the tank though. I hear about all these sororities failing, especially with only 3 girls... Worries me that what I have is a ticking time bomb. I'll always worry about it, but a little less after I add a couple girls.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #196 
Enkil

I am no nearly certain that Gwynfor is a HMPK. Can't get him to flare though. This is from sitting here staring at him for near an hour. He likes to spread out his fins quite a bit... Not quite to their full potential though. He watched me watch him. Little guy must think I'm crazy by now.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #197 
tpocicat

I have several that way! Drives me crazy, because I really want to know if they are HM or super delta!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #198 
Enkil

All the boys are being difficult with pictures. -_- Had hoped to get some nice ones of them to use in my spawn log so others could help me pick out which pair to use. No such luck.

Form wise, Egil looks best. For dragon scaling, Odin does. Color, I'm kind of favoring Gwynfor.

Only one that seems to want to let me get pics is Eva. XD
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #199 
lelei

Yup..like I mentioned before, our 'Sammy" is like a dog, he wiggles, and opens his mouth fast, like he's talking to us, and saying "I missed you, or Hello, or yes, feed me" I see them all with our sammy..he's gets so exited to see us in the morning before we leave to work, and as soon as we get home, it's so beautiful..Betta's have amazing personalities:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #200 
Enkil

Not sure what Gwynfor is up to. He watched me watch him for a good half hour earlier today. I sit back to relax, look up, and he's being a spaz. So I moved to the end of the bed where I was closer to his tank. He instantly calmed and watched me again for a few minutes before going about his little fishy way.

When he flares, it's like he's having a spaz attack. Flares every few seconds during this time but only for about one second per flare. So I have yet to get a good look at his tail while he is flared. Devon seems to find my observations of Gwynfor comical.

Saw Gwynfor resting up on his floating anubias today. He has one of the big ones. He didn't stay there for long though. I have found that he doesn't stay in one place for too long at one time while he's being active. He has several active times a day separated by resting periods. Not sure if this is him being young or if it's just his personality. Either is possible in my opinion. My dragons were similar when I got them.

I love to watch Gwynfor because his white dragon scales shift color based on what light hits him along with his surroundings. The LED lights are done in blue and white. While under the white, he looks normal. While under the blue, he looks blue and dark purple. The "glow" from his neon green rocks tinges him green sometimes. The "glow" from his fake purple plants tinges him more purple. It's interesting to say the least. I love it. It's a fascinating tank to say the least. It is a little odd having only one fish in a 5 gallon tank, but I like to watch him.

In other tank news:
Hannibal is looking gorgeous. He's also very large, I've come to notice. His body alone is at the least a bit over 2 inches. His fins are gorgeously long. Oddly enough, he is well balanced. I had not thought to find that in him, but he is. Anal isn't too long like in a lot I have seen lately.

My sorority is still doing well. I sit and watch the girls several times a day. They interact with me each time. Lolth doesn't look as eggy anymore. Nor does Freydis. I will be conditioning them soon though. I'm going to play it safe and condition all three that way I have a plan B if my planned spawn doesn't work out.

The boys are doing well. Fins are growing back. They seem to be doing better since the tank break down and the addition of new plants. I'm still unsure as to why such issues were going on with the 10 gsl they are in. Still not sure if things are back to 100% or not.. but hoping. I'll have my answer if healing goes as it should.

Wanted to have a photo shoot with the fish, but they were not having it today. When they do, I will try to get some nice ones of the girls, Gwynfor, and Hannibal. Going to wait on pics of the other three boys until they heal up a bit.