Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #201 
tpocicat

Sounds like Hannibal is huge! My red dragon "glows" the same way, so beautiful to watch. I love those LED lights, just wish I could afford more for all my tanks.
When conditioning a male for spawning, I condition all my females just in case. You never know who your male will like, and the same for the female.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #202 
Enkil

They have a nice new tank that is 2.5 gal they made for bettas that has the same light settings as Gwynfor's.

Have you seen the picture for the Hawkeye 5 gallon tank kit? It has a red VT on it along with other fish!

Going to have water change day today. Maybe I can get some nice pictures while doing so. Will most likely be able to get some new ones of Eva. She likes having hers taken it seems.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #203 
tpocicat

The Hawkeye 5 is a nice looking tank.
All my boys are in 5 gal tanks with the wire lids made for terrariums (so they can't jump out). Each as some java moss and a tiny terra cotta pot for a "cave". I have the Marineland LED lights that sit on top.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #204 
Enkil

This is Gwynfor's tank" http://s.petco.com/assets/product_im...146785051C.jpg
Though it came in a TopFin box and I got it at PetSmart. It isn't on their website. Possible that it was a flluke, I suppose. I really like it. The only thing I don't like is that when you look straight on, you can't see the fish if it is up against the sides on the ends. Had to get used to that. Once you do, it's a great tank. I like it because it's acrylic.
Gwynfor seems to enjoy his home. He's slowly warming up to me. When I'm not close to the tank, he tries to get my attention. So I've taken to lounging at the foot of the bed when I'm relaxing. This puts me close to his tank. He then goes about his little fishy business. He's trying to get my attention right now, the silly thing. This morning he even started eating as I dropped the pellets into his tank. Usually he waits until I close the lid. It's progress.

I think the girls were getting jealous. XD So I spent some time this morning watching them. They danced for me in a pretty display. I really enjoyed it. They're doing very well which I'm very thankful for. Still looking to get a couple more girls to add to the sorority tank. Thinking very seriously about upgrading the sorority. Have a very lovely spot where I could set up a bigger tank. I think I'll start looking for another tank for them that I like.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #205 
Enkil

Bunch of my sorority plants didn't make it. They didn't look so great when I bought them or when I introduced them. They and a couple of the wisteria I had with Gwynfor had to be tossed. One of the anubias plants in with the boys looks a little under the weather so I switched which section it is in so it gets a little more of the sunlight that comes in the window. Hopefully it perks back up. Have done this before and it worked so have my fingers crossed.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #206 
Enkil

Gwynfor is looking fantastic. Growing. I am leaning towards him being HMPK. Flaring still isn't his strong suit though. Hoping that he'll get even more comfortable with time so that he might flare nicely for me. Though I do know not all males really flare. Either way, he looks more gorgeous every day.

I will soon start conditioning for breeding. I plan on doing a spawn next month so long as all goes well. I really want to use Eva. She is wonderfully balanced. She's fantastic looking. I'm going to condition all three girls, however, in case she doesn't take to any of the boys. I'll also condition more than one of the males Two of my boys (Egil and Odin) have taken to tail biting. I'm not sure how this will affect things...
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #207 
Keroro

You know, I told my friends about Betta's sharp little teeth and powerful jaws but they simply laughed.. They don't believe me that they can bite and break skin! I'll show them this to prove them wrong haha!
Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #208 
Enkil

Hannibal has quite the bite! I'm very careful when dealing with him now. I make sure that, should I have to reach into his water, my hand and fingers stay away from him. Not the easiest thing to do given that his body alone is at least 2 inches long and he has regrown his fins... But still. XD
I've had my fingers bitten by him enough to know though. That he had the strength to actually shake my hand still surprises me. I really hadn't expected such a thing. They are amazing creatures really.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #209 
Enkil

Did water changes today. Had to toss a decoration from the divided 10 gal. Had algae on it and wasn't salvageable. Will have to get them more decorations/live plants. The decoration had to be tossed because it was.. feathery... A fake feathery plant. Egil loved it and sleeping in it, but it was too gross to be saved.

Took a lot of pictures while doing the water change. Going to be doing a picture thread for these updated pics. Boys are healing up nicely, I think.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #210 
Enkil

So Fenris and Gwynfor are pretty much constant companions lately. XD
Fenris is my snuggle buddy. Made up some ice cubes made from chicken broth for him since the weather has gotten hot. It's like a kid with candy! So dang cute. He absolutely loves them.

Gwynfor is doing so well. He's growing. Very happy with his progress so far. He has now realized that their is a magic hand that drops his food. XD He makes sure to be directly under it now when I drop in his food. At night I put his LED light on the blue setting so it mimics water at night under moonlight. Don't leave it on all night. Use it more to transition him from having the lights on to not having them. He seems to enjoy it. The blue lighting makes him look really pretty too. I really love his tank.