Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #21 
Enkil

I really only leave with Devon or the roommate as a rule. I do have a friend that I'll leave with though. Used to get his little boy and my little girl together all the time, but it's been harder since moving. I did go to the bigger mall in Portland the other month to meet up with a friend from high school that I hadn't seen since back in 2006. It was fun really despite the strain it put on me.

I don't think Hannibal minds. XD He flares at Devon if he comes close to me within Hannibal's sight. It's the only time that he doesn't like Devon. He is also littering all of the surface of his water with bubbles. o_O Being so careful not to pop them when he goes up for a breath. It's both cute and strange all at the same time. He also seems a lot more calm now that he's made his bubblenests.

He hasn't been doing too much today really. Swimming about like normal and hanging about under his bubbles. He's been resting at the bottom when he does, but that is normal for him. He's never hidden much. Not even when we first bought him. His normal behavior seems abnormal for a betta. lol Makes him special. He doesn't know it yet, but we're going to spoiling him. I'm going to get him a new adjustable heater. His fake hairgrass plant is also going to be replaced with a live plant. I think he'll enjoy that and it'll be better for his tank health really. I also worry the plastic plant is going to damage his fins. Since the cleaning, he seems to like it less and doesn't really go near it much.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Well, you did clean out his "toilet," haha. You ruined his private place. XD

He must have had some pent up testosterone going on there, to flare so much and then build all his bubblenests. What a stud!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #23 
Enkil

His fake plant put a rip in his gorgeous tail. x_x I was so upset when I noticed! Though it seems to bother him not at all. He's still being the regular old Hannibal. Swimming about and wiggling at me from under his bubble nest. XD

The bubblenest! It's gotten bigger. o_o It's a bit impressive, the work he's done on it. I see him add to it here and there when he seems to think that I'm not looking. When he notices me near the tank, he goes over to it and wiggles under it at me. Poor thing. If I was a betta, he'd have won me over for sure now. XD Unfortunately for him, I am not.

Other than that, he is happy and seems quite healthy. We'll have to work at repairing his tail now, but that's ok. He heals his fins quite well.
Tomorrow we go to get his new heater. On Wed/Thurs, I'll get him his live plant while I do some shopping for my new pretties. ^_^
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #24 
Enkil

Hannibal is quite upset today. We changed out some of his water since his filter hasn't been running. This, of course, ruined his poor bubblenest. The poor dear. I also replaced his heater with an adjustable one. This took away his "cave"... However, I bought him a new decoration for him to hide in. He has checked it out some, but has yet to go inside.

He's swimming about rather angrily right now. He's even bitten his poor heater. Suppose I can't blame him. He seemed upset with the indicator light. >>
I'm hoping he likes the new decoration I got him from PetSmart. I know that he'll have to get used to it. I also want to get some of those betta hammocks for him and the new ones I'll be getting.

Oh! As I'm typing this.. He went into his new decoration! Did it all nice and slow, slinking in. Looked about the darkness. Then slowly popped his black head out into the light before slowly slinking out. So he should use it. I hope. XD
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #25 
Sakura8

He bit his heater? Hannibal, you absolutely crack me up!

Haha, he looks at you and thinks, "Hmm, she's big for a betta, guess I need to build a bigger nest." So sweet he has a crush on you.

One of my girls used to be absolutely fascinated with the indicator light on her heater. Every time it would come on, she'd swim over and just stare and stare and stare until it went off. She also thought the ball bearing weights in the bottom of the glass thermometer were pellets so she'd nibble at the bottom of the thermometer all the time.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #26 
Enkil

He was so very upset when the water change caused his bubble nest to disappear. I'll have to try my hand at making a baffle for his filter. It has something like that that came with it, but there's still too much of a current to allow him to make a secure bubble nest. It has to be frustrating for him.

It;s adorable that he does that for me though. Makes me giggle every time.
Though I care for him, Hannibal isn't really mine. I bought him for my daughter. She likes to sit and watch him sit there and watch her. XD They are so cute just sitting and watching each other. She talks to him to. Full conversations.

Hannibal has bit at his thermometer just the one time. That was after the 100% water change we did. He attacked it to put it in its place. lol. The new heater he's gone at twice. I've caught him watching the indicator light a couple of times and then trying to gently nibble it. He's also nipped at his anubias a few of times. Not since it stopped moving about though. Now he rests in it from time to time. It's floating right now until I get a rock for it. Since he likes it so much, I'm going to have to get him a betta hammock to rest on. I didn't know he'd like it so much since he likes to rest on the bottom and in his "cave" so much.

He scared me so much last night! I got him this double barrel decoration at PetSmart (I think it's one of their exclusives). I knew I had to get him a new hiding place since I was taking away his old heater. Well, I kept looking for him last night and finding him in his new hiding spot. I know he was sleeping now, but at the time I was very worried that he had gone in there and died for some reason.

The rip in his tail from his old plastic plant is already starting to heal! The warmer water seems to be doing him a world of good. His colors look even better today. He never fails to amaze. His water is at about 78*F now. I'll never get a preset or anything like that again. One I can adjust is definitely the way to go.

I was looking at the stores (we went to both PetSmart and Petco) yesterday... I was hoping that I'd find one of them that had shrimp so I could have a few in my sorority. Only PetSmart had any and they only had ghost shrimp. Sometime this week, we'll be going to Walmart. Maybe they'll have something different.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #27 
Sakura8

It's amazing how fast the fins can heal. One of my girls in the sorority got her dorsal bit off two weeks ago, there was nothing left. It's already fully healed and you'd never know.

Oh, I know! They can really scare the dickens out of you when they go hide and sleep in their caves. I've literally taken the cave out of one of my tanks and looked in it. It was actually meant for cichlid fish so it's got a bottom and everything, fully contained. So I lifted it out, hoping my guy would swim out when it started rising and he didn't. I had it completely out of water and upside down before he finally fell out and back into the tank.

Amano shrimp are the best for eating algae but they pretty much look like ghost shrimp. Cherry shrimp are the prettiest but smaller and much harder to find. One of my pet stores had them, 2 for $14. I was like, "I'm not spending that much on something that could potentially end up as dinner."
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #28 
Enkil

I'm just glad that he seems to be doing so well. He looks and acts very healthy. Him being happy and healthy is all I can ask for. ^_^ I keep an eye on him to make sure all seems well. Kacey is learning how to feed him. I hand her a piece of food and she drops it in. She loves to watch him eat and now knows when his feeding times are.

If Hannibal ever did that to me... o_o He worried me enough last night. I hope he doesn't lay like that again. The way he was resting, a very slight current was rocking him ever so slightly. He knows just what to do to worry me, it seems.

The only shrimp I saw were at PetSmart and they were ghost shrimp. I was disappointed. Our PetCo didn't have shrimp at all. I thought they'd be nice to have to help keep the tank a bit cleaner between water changes. If we don't find any, it'll be ok. The girls will be pretty enough. ^_^
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #29 
Enkil

Been a busy day. I think Hannibal is unhappy with me. I had a talk with him about his horrid eating habits. I informed him that I am not amused even if I do giggle at him taking his freeze dried blood worms off my finger. He needs to eat pellets. He promptly swam away and gave me the tail. -_-

He doesn't know that Devon has paid for me to have my own bettas! Yes, plural. I will be getting 3 males and 3 females. ^_^ Very excited. Have a few things left to get and then I can have them sent to me!

Included in my shopping list:
- Pellets: different kind than we currently have since I plan on buying what the new ones are used to eating. I'll also be putting Hannibal on these if he likes it or not. >>;
- More plants. Both live and fake. Need plenty for the sorority tank.
- Supplies to make my 2 dividers for the 10 gal the boys will share.
- Possibly some frozen foods. I worry though. Men around here tend to not look very well at what they grab from the fridge/freezer. -_-;
- Betta hammocks! Want one for Hannibal too.
- Decorations. Need more. ^_^ Have to make sure the cuties are well cared for.

I may also look into getting a nice camera for pictures. I do like to take pictures of Hannibal and the new ones will give me even more opportunities. A cell phone camera just isn't going to cut it. Especially since all 6 of the new ones are dragons.

Will our bettas be spoiled? Why yes, yes they will. ^_^ As I have told Devon, I have no puppy/dog or baby to doubt upon and Kacey is very independent. She insists on doing nearly everything without me now. T_T She is 4 though so I suppose I should have seen it coming. So I shall spoil and doubt on the fish. Kacey and I still play and she's learning to read/write. She also likes to sit and talk to Hannibal, tell him stories. Very cute.

As for Mr. Hannibal...
He seems so happy now that his tank is better heated. That other heater just didn't the job with it being so dang cold. This one though... Nice and steady at about 78*. His plant seems to be staying healthy and has taken to swimming about in the anubias as it floats. It may break his little heart when I attach it to something. I'll get him a hammock though and all will be well.

Oh! Should also get a mirror for them, hmm? I doubt the boys that will split the 10 gal will need it, but Hannibal needs some flare time. Now that his brief flare fest from the water change is over... He hasn't flared again. I'll just have to see what goodies I can find for them.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #30 
Enkil

Bought some new pellets last night that were supposed to be smaller than the ones we already had. They aren't. -_- So Hannibal kept spitting them out as is his usual routine. However... When I went to fish them out so they wont muck up his water.. He bit onto my finger, latched, and thrashed. -_- My finger is still a bit tender this morning. Hannibal indeed.

He's still doing quite well. He danced for me this morning as if to apologize. A very pretty dance at that. He's been doing so well in his warmer water. The anubias is still floating for now, but he doesn't rest in/on it. Instead he still sleeps at the bottom in his barrels decoration. Once I finish up his tank, I'll have to take some pictures of it. It's only a 3.5 gal, but I think it looks nice.

Have both of my new tanks just waiting to get set up. So frustrating to have to wait to do it! Both are 10 gal. I got this pretty blue gravel for the boys' tank. I wanted to get red for the girls, but it was out of stock... So they have black for now. Also picked up some silk plants to help out with the sorority. Live plants are a go. Got a nice soft net. Debated some of the decorations, but ended up not getting any from that store. I'll pick some up at PetSmart and/or PetCo.

Devon saw this skull decoration and wanted to get it for Hannibal. XD I had to tell him no because it was far too big. If Hannibal was in a bigger tank, I would have given in pretty easily. To see him get excited about something to do with the fish and so involved was cute.

So very excited about getting my new fish! They are all payed for and waiting to be sent out. Had to hold off on it because we're switching spaces and I didn't want to have to move them after their long trip. Stressing them like that is not something that I want to do. So I should be able to have them sent on Mon. I can't wait! ^_^