Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #41 
Enkil

Oh they certainly can be. I definitely know that now. XD Not happy that he did it, but you can't hold it against them. They are carnivores and all. They love live prey. Was bound to happen at some point. I have the net now though so I'll use that to fish out things from his tank from now on. lol
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #42 
tpocicat

My daughter helps me with my bettas. I'm a breeder so there is a LOT more work with all of them. Anyway, she told me that she has been bitten before while feeding them. I don't usually put my fingers in the tank when feeding them. That is probably why I've never been bitten LOL.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #43 
Enkil

lol Probably. I know Hannibal is pretty tenacious about eating... Unless it means he has to eat pellets. -_- Still trying to get him to eat those, but he isn't taking to them at all. Doesn't surprise me that he was so thin when we bought him. Not sure he would have lasted much longer on a pellet diet. Going to try soaking his in garlic juice again.ii If it doesn't work, might have to resign to the fact that his pickiness will shorten his life. >> Not ready to give up yet though. I'm going to keep trying and buying different foods for him. Might eventually find one he likes.

Today, he's showing off. Dancing and shimmying. Love when he does this because it lets me check to see how his fins are healing. Dorsal doesn't have any new growth. The loss there was pretty bad and I'm happy with the progress he made. The rip in his tail looks to be beginning to heal up. Glad I took out that plastic plant and got him a real one.

Sunday we will be switching spaces. Once we do that, I can have my new pretties sent to me. ^_^ Very excited and can't wait. I'm sure Hannibal wont like that the girls aren't for him. I'll be sure to take pictures of everyone once they are here.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #44 
Enkil

Did some more shopping today. So going to spoil my new pretties. XD

Went to PetSmart. I was so disappointed by what I saw! Not a single grown betta on the shelf! All they had were young ones that were an inch at best. One, labeled a female, was very obviously a male by his fins. All their males were CTs. They did have one 1" blue and black CT male in a critter keeper set up with a ghost shrimp (the only one in the whole store) and a blue mystery snail (also the only one in the store).

I got my 2 new heaters for the new tanks. Got the dividers ready. The boys' tank will have pretty blue gravel while the girls have black. I got some hiding places for them. I also got more silk plants along with 2 betta hammocks (all they had left. -_-) I wish they had had more of the hammocks, but I can always go back.

I picked up some flakes this time and new pellets the last time. He didn't eat the pellets. The flakes (have shrimp in them) he chews up and spits out. -_- Hannibal is becoming more and more stressing. He's not happy unless his anubias plant is floating in just the right spot, his light is on, the light must be on the right setting, and his filter HAS to be on. -_- I'm going to have to baffle his filter because the one it came with doesn't do a good job. The current destroys his bubble nests.
Going to try soaking his pellets again to get him to eat them. The good thing is, his freeze-dried blood worms are not causing him to bloat or be constipated. He's going to the bathroom just fine. He's back to putting weight on, which is good. He was still a little on the thin side. I'm really amazed at the progress he's made from the dull, beat up, emaciated fish we brought him to the bright and beautiful betta he is now. Attacking his own reflection as he currently is...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #45 
Sakura8

Some people suggest soaking freeze-dried foods before feeding them so they puff up before they enter the system. I dunno. I fed my bettas freeze-dried and no one ever bloated from them or got constipated. The only reason I switched to frozen is because it turned out it was just easier for me.

Hannibal is definitely a great success story. :D You're doing so great with him, Enkil.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #46 
tpocicat

I just love reading about Hannibal! Have you tried Petco for bettas? I've seen some really pretty ones at our Petco.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #47 
Enkil

I most likely wont get bettas for myself at PetSmart or PetCo. I want the option of having nice fish that I can breed should I decide to try my hand at it. Especially since so many people I know are getting into them because I talk about Hannibal. I don't plan on using him for breeding because I don't know his pedigree. All I know of him is that he is a combtail who was labeled as a VT. As well as he takes things, I just don't know what his genetics are really like.

I've never soaked Hannibal's freeze-dried blood worms before feeding him. He hasn't that kind of patience. XD He knows when meal times are and expects his food. He even actually reminds me. About the same time every morning, he comes over to the back of his tank and does his begging dance. The movement catches my eye and reminds me (I have a bad memory due to medication I was on) that it is time for his breakfast. He does the same thing at night.

He has some odd quirks. He is not happy if his filter is not on or if it is gone. He gets stress stripes if either happens. Now he gets stress stripes if I turn off his light! Luckily his tank only has the LED lights. The one he likes makes his tank look like moonlight is hitting it. He also will not sleep if I turn his tank light off. -_- Odd fish.
Going to try getting him freeze-dried or frozen brine shrimp. See if he eats that. I'm starting to think that he just has something against pellets and flakes. I'll figure something out for him though. Have to make sure he keeps the weight on and stays healthy.

In the process of getting moved. Can't wait to be in my new space! Once I am, I get to have my 6 new pretties sent to me. So very excited over that. I think I'll get a mini fridge so I can do frozen foods without having to worry about the guys getting some on accident. XD

I have thought about possibly doing a spawn at some point. I'll have the room and funds. Would certainly be interesting. And would make for a lovely gift for my nephew. My mother might even appreciate them. Don't know about that one though.

Once the move is done and my tanks are all settled, I'll have 6 new lovelies to watch and take care of. ^_^ I bought 3 males and 3 females from DarkMoon. Such pretty dragons! I'm very happy with the selections I've made. Also considering on upgrading my intended sorority in a month or two to a bigger tank. I'd like to have a lot of girls to watch.

On another note...
Hannibal is looking good today. A little more progress in his tail healing from the rip the fake hairgrass plant caused. Still happy I tossed that evil thing. It was cute at first, but after it caused a rip, I started to despise it. Glad that I replaced it with the anubias. The anubias, by the way, seems to be doing wonderfully floating. *knocks on wood*
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #48 
Enkil

Hannibal is being my little hero today...
Got a call from my uncle (who raised me with my grandma) today. My Grammy isn't doing so well. Her kidneys aren't working right. They said there were two options: make her comfortable or move her to a different hospital and try a procedure. She opted for the move, but don't know how things are going to go.
Grammy is like my mom. She raised me and has always been there for me. Needless to say, I have not been taking this news so well...

Hannibal seems to have noticed. He's dancing for me more than usual. I appreciate it, really. He's being so cute.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #49 
Sakura8

Can your grammy go on dialysis for her kidneys? I'm sorry she's not doing well. Healing thoughts for her.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #50 
Aus

I was raised by my grandma, too. She's 90 now. It isn't easy when they get ill, it's like they ought to be invulnerable or something. I do hope your Grammy recovers well.

I have been enjoying Hannibal's exploits. He's really Mister Personality, by the sound of it. Love the idea of 'night dancing', it's very poetic!

I have to agree with you about pet stores. I'll be looking for a breeder when I buy my next fish (which I hope isn't for years to come, as I plan for Sid to be an 'only fish').
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote