Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 
quill

Tankmate(s) to stir sand

I'm in the process of cycling a new ten gallon for my betta and debating future tankmates for him. It's a play sand substrate, roughly two inches deep, with about 20 ounces of polished glass gravel mixed in for looks. I know this will require stirring to prevent those nasty gas pockets. I'd like to get some critter(s) to do this for me!
I'm torn between cories and malaysian trumpet snails. The crazy breeding habits of the snails put me off a bit, but not entirely. Gallifrey has eaten ghost shrimp placed in is tank before, but that might just be predation, not aggression. This is also a much bigger tank, with a planned mix of live and silk plants to hide in.
Any other suggestions for sand stirrers would be great, too. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by quill; 01-17-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Title edit
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The best critter to help prevent anaerobic pockets are the MTS (malaysian trumpet snails)-since they burrow in the substrate, however, this livebearer snail can over populate-but easy enough to keep in check with manual removal on occasion and then once the rooted plants start to grow their roots will help bring oxygen into the substrate too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote