Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #11 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I poured some bacteria supplement on my arm by accident and it gave me a rash. :P
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
My manager, used to care for the fish section in our walmart. she said, that one employee during water changes, netting fish, or getting rid of dead fish, would have hives along her arm... They didn't clue in, until they did a test - she was allergic to the fish. It's very possible - some people have different reactions to fish - especially live fish. Do you think this could be a possibility for you?
Lol, that sucks, you become allergic to something that is part of your job. Allergic to live fish, that is a new one.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

well it is similar to people being allergic to shellfish... some can be allergic to fish over all including live fish :o which WOULD suck.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #14 
BeautifulBetta

How interesting that I'd stumble upon this, while I'm having an allergic reaction to the bloodworms I just ground up for the fry haha. How interesting, I thought I was just weird, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the same allergy. I discovered this allergy years ago, and I hoped it had subsided. Apparently it hasn't LOL
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

yeah what's recommended is gloves (surgical for instance :) ), and using spoons rather than fingers :3
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #16 
BeautifulBetta

For grinding them, I was using an old medicine bowl/grinder thingy haha. Very handy! Unfortunately the fine powder got in my nose >:( lmao
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #18 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
My manager, used to care for the fish section in our walmart. she said, that one employee during water changes, netting fish, or getting rid of dead fish, would have hives along her arm... They didn't clue in, until they did a test - she was allergic to the fish. It's very possible - some people have different reactions to fish - especially live fish. Do you think this could be a possibility for you?
It is possible I guess,anything is. I am not allergic to fish normally,but I guess I could of developed an allergy? I have not had it happen since though.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

As a person who has suffered allergys for twenty years I can tell you that you can develop an allergy at the drop of a hat. Allergys are known to develop and go away every seven years. Or, like almost everyone else said. Could be a chemical that was little stronger than you were used too. from my experience you probably had a reaction to ammonia. My fiance worked around manure for a long time and would come home with the itchies and stuffy nose. Ammonia is bad stuff for fish and people.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #20 
kelben

Cool

If you read the info. on the freezedried blood worms, it says something about not handling the worms and to wash hands with soap and water afterwards.

I saw a program on tv. a while ago about a man who had a small cut on his knuckle and one day after years of cleaning and looking after his saltwater hobby he developed a nasty, nasty infection from the water... yikes.... I have seen those gloves that go up to the armpit in my lfs... hmmmm.

Kathy
kelben is offline   Reply With Quote