Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 
on388

Heating tanks

So I have empty tanks with no where to be set up in the house and if anyone is like me they know that its hard no to want to set them up somewhere and get fish in them. I was given the ok to set up however many tanks in the garage that I would like and so with me wanting to get back into breeding and expanding my bettas I thought perfect i have as much room as I could possible need. One problem out here in CA for some reason is colder than normal and gets into the 30s at night so I figure I better make sure I can heat a tank and make sure it is suitable for the tanks to stay out there. So i set up a 20gh that i have with a 150 watt heater and filled with as cold of water that I could to see if the heater could heat it up to the right temp and good thing is the temp stayed stable all through the night and day but it would only get up to 69 which is no bueno. So I would like to know is can you all think of a more efficent way to heat them without having to buy a million heaters? Do you think instead of heating one big divided tank would it be easier to heat multiple 5 gallon tanks? Any ideas that you have will help alot thanks.
on388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi on388 and welcome to the forum. I feel your pain. I have the same problem. As many tanks as I want in the garage but out of room in the house. One way is to get a heater rated higher than your tank, so try using a 200w heater. The only danger there is if the heater malfunctions, it will heat up the water very fast and you could lose your fish before you even know it. Place the heater as close to the filter outflow as possible so the warm water circulates. Since it's a 20gH, you might also consider putting an airstone in to circulate the water even more. See if any of this helps.

If you can, try repeating the test using indoor room-temp water and see if the heater still struggles to keep it at a decent level. It may have struggled because the water was already cold to begin with.

And if all else fails, do what I did: put a goldfish in it. :P
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #3 
on388

I was thinking the same thing that I may have started with to cold of water so this weekend I am going to empty it and fill it with water around the temp that I want to see if that helps. I also have a 10g laying around that I will use to test my theory of it being easier to heat smaller tanks and if thats the case the store I got to has 5 gallon tanks for 4.99 so I can do that as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #4 
bettafish15

Have 3 sides of the tank covered in styrofoam.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 
Sakura8

That's a good idea too, to wrap a roll of packing styro around it. Not very pretty but it might help. I don't know about you but I'm tired of nights in the 30's. It's putting a crimp on my fish plans, haha. ;)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 
on388

def tired of the cold nights. I might try the styrofoam idea, im sure its not very expensive so why not try it. I dont really care how it looks as long as the fish are happy and I can have more of them. lol.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Hear hear. :) Good luck and let us know how your experiments with the styro turn out.