Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #11 
Bambi

While he's not really a show betta with that hunched back he does look other wise healthy. o.o and he's a SD/halfmoon, lucky.

If i had a bunch of money laying around i probably would have bought him. Granted he's not blind I'd pair him with a cellophane HM female frm a show line.

occular albinism is a bit more common then full albinos in the betta world. So pairing with a cellphane would at least give the chance of an occular albino cellophane that mimicked a true albino.

Last edited by Bambi; 01-17-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

either way, you have a potential jewel, keep an eye on him and post some updates :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #13 
Greenfish

In the wild albino animals find it harder to hide from predators, which explains why they are rarer then the normal ones, most of the albino animals that are found are given to zoo's. From what i know the albino gene is a recessive one, caused be inbreeding. This can then cause problems such as the blindness, weakness, poor immune system as well as infertility.
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #14 
purplemuffin

In which animals? In snakes, lizards, rats, frogs, turtles, gators, etc. albinism causes no serious harm--other than you simply must be more careful about bright lights over them. I know a lot of people who have albino animals who are not blind and are just as healthy and strong as their normal animals. They eat, breed, swim, etc. like normal

Are bettas just specifically prone to weakness with albinism? I hear the argument against albinos a lot--but only on this forum. So I'm curious.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #15 
Larsa

ALBINO BETTA!? you should post a pic or vid!
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #16 
Luimeril

Snowflake the gorilla got skin cancer not from being albino, but the lack of protection against the sun. being albino doesn't automatically mean you'll get cancer of any kind.

and, they're not blind because of it, either. lack of pigment in the eyes makes it easier for damaging UV rays to reach the inner parts of their eyes.

this little guy has just as much of a chance of surviving as any fry, but it's always good to separate him, give him MORE of a chance by babying him a little. :B

i'm really rooting for him! ever since making my albino character, albinos have fascinated me. i think we have an albino alligator at Riverbank's Zoo.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #17 
tpocicat

Albino bettas are the rarest of all betta colors, or rather non-colors. If your betta grows to be a healthy adult, you could have the start of something wonderful.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #18 
Luimeril

if you could get pictures, that'd be great! i'm rather excited about this little guy! that means, your male and/or female have the genes to produce albinos! maybe, breeding a sibling pair, could produce more. :B just a theory, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #19 
SDragon

Wow a real albino! I hope he makes it. You really need to post some pics.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #20 
Bambi

purplemuffin I got the weak info when i researched it on bettysplendens site.

Larsa, would if i could but the only way i have to take photos is with my laptops webcam and it can't focus on the fry.

Luimeril perhaps xD It's mostly the genetic aspect of it that interest me. I was planning on breeding sibling pairs anyway in an attempt to work on a CT line, so it would be interesting to see if the gene pops up again down the road.

Not all of us have stunning cameras guys. xD I don't have a digital camera,let alone the money to get the proper lenses for shooting fry pictures. ><

But, as an update, it's still alive. Not as active as it's siblings, but it's swimming around it container and not hopping anymore so i believe the swimbladder was from it being alittle piggy. I'll monitor it's food for the next couple days then add it back with it's siblings.

I hope he/she make it aswell. I've had very few deaths overall with this spawn, so I'm expecting almost all the fry I have to make it to adult hood, granted there are no heater fails or anything.(most of my fry deaths happen before now usually).

If he/she lives to adulthood i'll try to find some way to get a decent picture.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote